The Vortex is strong

For all of you who say "Stay away from the Vortex" now I know why.

IMG_3927.jpg

Nothing fancy, just my first wood lathe work since about, oh 1982. Yes, the Vortex is strong.

The Vortex is fun. Makes quite the mess. I can see myself playing with this alot of the time. Need to work on my sharpening skills.

OK Dave, I give, what is a strong spin?

A mess? Nah, never. :D

Pile of Shavings.jpg

And that was just the outside part of the bowl. The pile of shavings was about twice the size by the time I got done. :D I turned two bowls last week, and filled two city yard waste bins with the shavings.

Welcome BACK, Steve!!!!

You haven't lost the basics; noe you're ready for something better than pine.

If you are looking for help in sharpening help, take a look at the wolverine turning system with the New jig for Elsworth grinding. I have to wait for a while. I found some burls that I had to pay for (Well worth the money) that used up some sheckels and as always, sales taxes, I have to replace the cover to my tent and build some new displays.

Bruce

...That looks like at least 2 board feet of flat stuff :)

All told, there was probably more like 20 bf that ended up on the floor or in the waste bin this week. (That includes the lampshade I inadvertently made out of the core from the bowl in the picture.) That's based on two blanks...24"x18"x5" and 18"x18"x5", and the 5 inch dimension was probably actually closer to 7. But it would have all been 18" to 24" boards, with a fair amount of waste due to the bark. How useful would that be? :p :D