Thread: For Rob and Larry...Staining of Maple with Chemicals

For Rob and Larry...Staining of Maple with Chemicals

Rob,Last week, in another thread, you asked me about using several chemicals on Maple.Here's a test board I made over the weekend. It's a piece of (not very good) curly maple, with the three chemicals I mentioned - BiChromate of Potash - a Liberion Finishes product;Potassium Permanganate - Got mine at Sears, and;Household Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) - from the hardware store.There's no finish on any of the samples - just the chemicals mixed in warm water, painted on, and allowed to dry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ALL.JPG   BiChr.JPG   K Per.JPG   lye.JPG  
    Jim D.
    Adapt...Improvise...Overcome!

It seems to me that the whole premise of "Political Correctness," however well-intentioned it may be, runs the danger of uniform mediocrity becoming the norm.

hey jim what does that first one look like on GTR swn oak??
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    hey jim what does that first one look like on GTR swn oak??
    Dunno! I'll try some (if I have any) and post a pic or two - probably take a couple days. We're in the middle of another snow storm, so I don't know what tomorrow morning might bring. All my oak's out in the barn...
    Jim D.

It seems to me that the whole premise of "Political Correctness," however well-intentioned it may be, runs the danger of uniform mediocrity becoming the norm.

thanks
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Wow Thank you very much Jim. I had absolutely no idea this was possible. Thanks for all the effort i am sure it helped clear a great deal up for many more than i. And to think the drain cleaner would make grain pop so well.
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

Larry,
    Here are the oak pictures, and some cherry, too.

Apologies for the oak being plainsawn, and not quartersawn. I couldn't fine any QS laying about...

The Lye is spectacular on the cherry, but it sure doesn't make the oak look good! It leaves a mottled greenish undertone that I don't like. First time I ever tried lye on oak. (Probably the last time, too...)

The other two chemicals both reacted nicely with both woods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oak & Cherry.JPG   BiChromate of Potash.JPG   Potassium Permanganate.JPG   Lye.JPG  
    Jim D.

Thanks Jim. Just a question that this prompts is what do you put over it as a finish. Does something like this have to be sealed first with say Shellac and then further finishing and i presume it has to dry well before any application with it being essentially water based?

The world of finishing oh boy still got to conquer that one. Its a bit like sharpening i would imagine.
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Thanks Jim. Just a question that this prompts is what do you put over it as a finish. Does something like this have to be sealed first with say Shellac and then further finishing and i presume it has to dry well before any application with it being essentially water based?

The world of finishing oh boy still got to conquer that one. Its a bit like sharpening i would imagine.
    Rob,
    I seal nearly everything I make with a coat of shellac, so I'm not really the best person to ask.

I can't see where you'd have a problem with any film finish (varnish, Poly, etc.) over any of these chemicals, though. Once they've dried, you can sand (lightly!) and finish with whatever you prefer.

Some folks have said the Lye should be neutralized with vinegar before finishing, but I've never seen the need for that. Once the chemical action has stopped, and the piece has dried, the Lye seems to be 'self-neutralizing.' YMMV...
    Jim D.