Play Kitchen

Tia Marie

Hey all, I am new to this community and would like to share my joint project with my husband. We made a play kitchen for my daughter's 5th birthday. A lot of the self made play kitchens out there a made from Ikea parts but I'm proud to say ours is completely from scratch! We only had a little over a week to complete it since her birthday is right after Christmas. There is a light on the sink part. I plan on taking a picture of somewhere around town to put into the window but the weather here has been less than desirable. Everything is wood except for the spout, which is a pvc plumbing part with a serger thread cone on the end to give it a finished look where it connects to the back and the oven window. It's also made to come apart for easy transporting. Anyway, hope you enjoy these pics and I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

4264316802_8ab1980ccf_b.jpg

4263567957_eaa3c6ffcf_b.jpg

4264317218_d0735fa653_b.jpg

4263569457_20611a84fe_b.jpg

4305195535_64358de3ef_b.jpg

4263571017_b43029cfef_b.jpg

4263568507_930cc2274d_b.jpg

Thanks for the welcome! This particular project was made at the shop my husband works at but we do have a shop at home in our garage. I have been working on a scroll saw but I actually do my work in the room these pics are taken in, my craft room. I'm afraid of the creepy crawlies in the garage, lol!

What a great introductory post. That kitchen looks great. I can see a lot of imaginary meals being made there. :thumb:

Thanks so much everyone!

@Bob- I was going to do that at first but our backyard is pretty boring/ depressing. There's a pump house and some privacy bushes/trees and a rusty old burn barrel. I was thinking maybe the park since she likes to play house, if there is anyone playing I can just see her "watching over her children playing".

Thanks Vaughn, I appreciate that!

First of all I would like to welcome you to Family woodworking and second of all I would like to congratuate you on the design and the implemention of the play kitchen. :thumb:

I make a lot of children's toys and have come to learn what they like. Most children can tell and appreciate the difference between factory made toys and quality home made toys. I know that any 5 year old child would love this kitchen.

I love play kitchens!! Great job. My daughter (just turned 3) plays with hers EVERY day. One of the best things I have ever made.

Yours is awesome Tia. Great job!! I love the sink!

BTW, we found some great wooden play food at Kmart.

I need to add a microwave to the set next!

Last edited:
Thanks so much you guys! You are all correct about the this being far better than a store bought toy. Even my 9 year old son realizes how much more this means than something just bought from ToysRUs.

Mike H- Thanks for the ups on the wooden food, I've been looking for some. I was going to make some out of blocks of wood and implementing this transfer technique I found.

Here's the link: http://matsutakeblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-to-transfer-inkjet-images-to-wood.html

Thanks for the warm welcomes!