Jointer/Planer

Kenny Wright

I pulled the blades on my jointer/planer took them out to be sharpened. My problem is I don't know how to get the knives back in the planer straight and true. I talked to the guy that sharpened them, and he said there should be a tool with the planer. Nope. It's an old Hitachi F1000-A. I bought it used and it's my first planer. Any one have any suggestions. I have searched everything I can find on Hitachi and haven't been able to find the tool for this model. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

If you don't have any rare earth magnets handy, perhaps you have an old computer or hard drive sitting around? If so, you can disassemble the hard drive (providing it contains no data you want to retain) and remove the two neodymium magnets from within. :) Or, I could probably send you a couple if that's not an option for you.

Kenney,
are there seperate knives for the planer or are they shared with the joiner. On the joiner I'd put the glass on the infeed table with the edge sticking over the knife holder leaving yousef enough room to tighten the blades. If you have two magnet use one to secure the glass to the infeed table and the other to pull the knives up to the glass. On the planer Im not sure either..:huh:

Looking around, I see that the Hitachi F1000-A planer/jointer combo machine you have, looks very much like the Hitachi P100F, which is just a thickness planer, with no jointer on the side.

I see that Tool Parts direct sells the setting gauges for that tool >> Here << Ref#141 part#973852 for $15.45 a set of two. These setting guages are used by other Hitachi planers as well. I don't know for sure if this is the right set of gauges, but, it is something to look into.

I'd contact Hitachi about getting a parts diagram and an owners manual.

Cheers!

Don ,the knives are seperate. I can see how to do the jointer. It's the planer that has me baffled also.Stuart, I will call that number. Matt, I do have some magnets and thanks for the offer. Paul, if all else fail I may have to look into that. but I'm not sure if the indicator will work cause the table raises up to the blade. I'm headed out to pick up the blades now I'll check it out more when I get back. I'm puttin up some pics also, so yall can see what I'm workin with. First time pic poster so please forgive me ,I dont know how to do the thumbnail thing yet. Thanks for all the help everyone.:thumb:

Sorry it took so long to update this my puter crashed. Thanks to everyones help I got the blades in just fine.Thanks to everyone for the help.:wave: