Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camera help

Escondido, CA

camera help

My old Olympus 510 bit the dust. I am in the market for a new digital camera. I am NOT a camera buff. I am told that I want some manual control over color balance, f stops, exposure, and zoom range/focus. I also want to stay nearer $100 as opposed to, say $150.

I need to take pictures of the storm damage for insurance purposes. Later I will need it for proof positive of whatever I say I am doing on this forum.

So what do you have and what do you suggest? I know enough to go to and to for shopping, but how about some help of what I am shopping for, as in make and model?

Thanks all.

This should be good for what you need.Link
    Dragon's Paradox - ** working on updates ** Custom and One Of A Kind Heirloom Quality Hand Crafted Jewelry & Gifts

Reno NV
    Looks like Kalea nailed it!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    After going through several makes and models of P&S digi cams for my wife I got her a Nikon Cool Pix and it is just fine in all respect.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Delton, Michigan
    i have a canon powershot 160 but it comes in a tad higher in cost than kalea choice..its a touch larger frame than the cool pix and fits me but the cool pix fits in a pocket easier.. smaller frame. also the one i saw has a slow flash to snap delay// but that may be the way its setup.. not sure if you have stabilizing in the cool pix but that is handy if you have any nervous twitches ...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Madison, WI
    I have a secondhand Canon S500 which has been absolutely stellar. My family has owned lots of Canon products, and aside from a few very cheap models from the "A" series, they've all been terrific.

If you don't mind buying used, the old Powershots - say, a G3 - can give some very good pictures and are extremely reliable.

Cameras in the $100.00 range can be a very good camera. You may not get all the things you want. I would look at the Fuji 220. Sells for about 99.00 at Wal Mart. Small, easy to use and has a very good close up mode. Canon has been a good camera for a long time not to many complaints about them. Nikon, Casio and even the better Kodaks should be considered. There is a lot to look at, have fun looking.

Kansas City, Missouri
    I'm a Canon user, but have a Nikon 230 for my wife. She's been very happy with it. She found the Nikon easier to use than the Canons we looked at.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

lutefisk capitol, USA
    I used a Fuji Finepix s700 I got second hand at a camera shop for $80. I upgraded to a Nikon D90. A little more than you want to spend. Check pawn shops also.

Escondido, CA
    Camera purchase is on hold. Couple of reasons. To get the manual controls I need to photograph my work. My budget has gone up to $200 (or more). I am not a photo buff and rarely remember to take snapshots of events. I need the camera for work shots, web work, and prints (not large).

Currently comparing Canon SD780 and Panasonic XS series. Opento suggestion for others.
    Last edited by Carol Reed; 01-29-2010 at 06:46 PM.