Glue

i`ve had good luck using monkey glue for face-gluing 1x stock together (cyprus, cedar and mahogany) to build exterior doors.
i`ll opt for the polyurethane over a resin glue due to application temps.
if it`s warm enough that water is liquid i`ll use poly......if it`s over 70º in the shop i`ll use resin because it`s cheaper.

It depends on what I am glueing.

I use all of the above - depending on the application.

Titebond II don't work on metal or plastic - but is the best on wood.

CA - is great as a finish on pens - pen assembly - small wood fragments and lots of other stuff - but I would not glue two boards together with it.

Gorilla glue is good on outside projects or when there is a gap that needs to be filled in - but I would not glue two boards together with it.

Titebond III is outside stuff - on wood - but can be used indoors as well.

Epoxy - has lots of uses.

Then there is also, construction adhesives, silicone adhesives, and spray adhesives.

Soo - the application is what dictates which glue to use.

For in the shop wood projects - I use Titebond II -- it is stronger than the wood.

Where do you buy this glue; with some assuranc that it is fresh?
Thanks for your help Peter

I've found it at my local Ace hardware store, but I'm not sure how fresh it's been. (No problems with it, though.) There is a date code on the can. This info was blatantly stolen from post on another forum by one of our members, Matt Meiser.

...I called DAP about my plastic resin glue and found out that it is expired by about 6 months. They recommend that it be used within one year of the manufacturing date. She also told me how to read the date code. There is a sticker on the container with a 7 digit code. The first 3 digits are ignored. The 4th digit is the year and the 5th-7th digits are the Julian day. Mine were coded 0124128, meaning they were made on the 128th day of 2004...

Fine woodworking did a piece not too long ago rating all the different types of glue, and the result were interesting. Gorilla glue, for all it's own hype, didn't fare all that well, and, as I remember, hide glue was as good or better. The Titebond II & III type did great as expected. As a result of what I read, I decided to use liquid hide glue on my last project since it won't be outside exposed to water, & I really liked it. I especially liked that I could wipe off the excess w/ a damp sponge & it didn't screw up the finishing process.