Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 reasons

4 reasons

I give you 4 reasons why you don't change your mind on which end is up after you screw the face plate on.
    A 6 inches round by 3 inch tall walnut bowl out of a blank from my friend Larry.
    As you can see in the pics there are 4 white spots where the face plat screws where. I had it all screwed on rounded the blank up and decided that the other end would be a better top. So I switched ends with the plat thinking I would just turn out the screw holes.(NOT) The blank also used to be 2 inches taller but as I was taking it down to finish thinness a piece about the size of a quarter vanished from the top lip.
    Oh well this is what I ended up with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_reason 001.JPG   tn_reason 002.JPG  
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

If that happens, turn a groove where the holes are and fill with something like brass powder or a mix of epoxy and coffee grounds, dark sawdust etc. No-on will know...unless you tell them.

Nice bowl with feature marks anyway. Probably only another turner would know where they came from

Pete

Pete has a pretty good solution. Yes, the whitish filling does show off the oops and accentuate it a bit. A ring or 3, filled with coffee of some other appropriate filler, would look pretty interesting. Nice design btw.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Thanks
    I had thought of turning a grove but couldn't come up with any thing to put in it.
    Never even considered an epoxy mix of some sort
    Powdered brass? and where would one get powdered brass? When mixed with epoxy how does it look? Got any pics of some thing you did this to?
    Stupid hurts.

Hardware store or where they cut door keys. Ask for the filings. most are not brass but brass color..

paul
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Here in the UK I get it from this place.

You can use the stuff from a key cutters but go over it with a strong magnet first as it will probably have steel in it as well which will discolour the wood or possibly rust. It is also much coarser and whilst can have a nice textured effect you won't get a smooth brass finish as with the powder. It is mixed with epoxy or resin and the crack filled until proud. When hard it is sanded back and leaves a seam of what looks like solid brass.

Check here for filling ideas

Hope this helps

Pete

Thank Pete Now I have to find a US source for it. More than once I have had projects that I wanted brass inlay on. And more than once I have cut brass inlays from sheet goods, but until now have not had a way to do some of the things floating around in my head.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Thank Pete Now I have to find a US source for it. More than once I have had projects that I wanted brass inlay on. And more than once I have cut brass inlays from sheet goods, but until now have not had a way to do some of the things floating around in my head.
    Try here

Pete

Oh Pete they got rock inlay too.
    Your pure evil Thanks
    Stupid hurts.

I agree with the groove and inlace of some sort Chuck. My first bowl I did the same thing. I put brass filings inside and out. My sister has it at here house now and uses it for a cookie dish or fruit dish. She doesn't even know the decoration is to cover holes.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.