4 reasons

Chuck Thoits

I give you 4 reasons why you don't change your mind on which end is up after you screw the face plate on.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
A 6 inches round by 3 inch tall walnut bowl out of a blank from my friend Larry.:thumb:
As you can see in the pics there are 4 white spots where the face plat screws where. I had it all screwed on rounded the blank up and decided that the other end would be a better top. So I switched ends with the plat thinking I would just turn out the screw holes.(NOT) The blank also used to be 2 inches taller but as I was taking it down to finish thinness a piece about the size of a quarter vanished from the top lip.:huh:
Oh well this is what I ended up with.

Attachments

• tn_reason 001.JPG
    tn_reason 001.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 144
  • tn_reason 002.JPG
    tn_reason 002.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 125
If that happens, turn a groove where the holes are and fill with something like brass powder or a mix of epoxy and coffee grounds, dark sawdust etc. No-on will know...unless you tell them.

Nice bowl with feature marks anyway. Probably only another turner would know where they came from

Pete

Pete has a pretty good solution. Yes, the whitish filling does show off the oops and accentuate it a bit. A ring or 3, filled with coffee of some other appropriate filler, would look pretty interesting. Nice design btw.

Thanks
I had thought of turning a grove but couldn't come up with any thing to put in it. :huh:
Never even considered an epoxy mix of some sort:doh:
Powdered brass? and where would one get powdered brass? When mixed with epoxy how does it look? Got any pics of some thing you did this to?

Hardware store or where they cut door keys. Ask for the filings. most are not brass but brass color..

paul

Here in the UK I get it from this place.

You can use the stuff from a key cutters but go over it with a strong magnet first as it will probably have steel in it as well which will discolour the wood or possibly rust. It is also much coarser and whilst can have a nice textured effect you won't get a smooth brass finish as with the powder. It is mixed with epoxy or resin and the crack filled until proud. When hard it is sanded back and leaves a seam of what looks like solid brass.

Check here for filling ideas

Hope this helps

Pete

Thank Pete Now I have to find a US source for it. More than once I have had projects that I wanted brass inlay on. And more than once I have cut brass inlays from sheet goods, but until now have not had a way to do some of the things floating around in my head.:thumb:

I agree with the groove and inlace of some sort Chuck. My first bowl I did the same thing. I put brass filings inside and out. My sister has it at here house now and uses it for a cookie dish or fruit dish. She doesn't even know the decoration is to cover holes.:rofl:

This bowl is what it is the fillers are white to make sure I'll see them every time I see the bowl.:thumb: It will be a reminder for me to pick an end and stick to it. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well Chuck seems i missed this one and you have been hanging out here with me for tooooo long. Thats classically my style of turning. Just that i have a different solution to the holes:rofl::rofl:

Remove the hole base and put in a new one tell people its segmented turning.:thumb::rofl:

The gory details i exposed here

In this case some Michigan Chocolate saved the day.

My question is why were you using such a big faceplate on such a little bowl? ;) From the hole spacing, it looks like a 4" or 5" faceplate. I've turned 100 pound blanks with a 3 1/2" faceplate. (With 8 long and strong screws, though.)

My question is why were you using such a big faceplate on such a little bowl? ;) From the hole spacing, it looks like a 4" or 5" faceplate. I've turned 100 pound blanks with a 3 1/2" faceplate. (With 8 long and strong screws, though.)

It was a 6" face plate thank you very much.:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Oh and it's the only faceplate I got:rofl::rofl::rofl:

So far, I haven't messed around with little screw holes. I like to put the whole gouge through the bottom of the bowl:rofl::D. Or turn it so thin you can see the glow of light through the wood - paper thin.:D:rofl: