Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Fishing

Ice Fishing

Hi all

Anyone here have plans for Ice fishing tip ups. I have looked on the web an there aint no decent plans or really good pictures where one can see the detail

Also anyone got a sled the use to haul their stuff onto the ice. Not a sled for a shelter but a home made sled for all the goodies one takes ice fishing.

Since i aint allowed to go tomorrow thought i would get some prep done for next time if i get let out of the work gang work a while. Have in mind to take the young un with a few friends and try to keep a Canadian traddition alive. Not sure these guys could hack it without the Xbox but its worth a try.
    cheers

a real vortex

I once spent about a week, during the summer, on business, in Fondulac, Wisconsin. All the people there talked about was ice fishing. And, this was in the summer. The lathe thing a vortex? Not even close to ice fishing. Those folks are seriously addicted. They go out and sit on the ice in below zero weather. That's not normal.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Did you see these? Looks pretty simple, and yet with a lot of room for creativity! Pretty cool project I must say...

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...0786.msg602690
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Found an interesting 'How to' as well.

1. Get a bait bucket. Only a rookie "from away" shows up at the local "Bait, Bullets n' Beer" without a bucket. You don't want to start your ice fishing weekend by having the crowd of usuals assembled therein mocking you as you walk out with your Zip-Loc bag full of shiners.

2. When you've reached your destination, load up your plastic toboggan with all the supplies you'll need to set your traps, and head out onto the ice.

- Bait bucket
    - Auger
    - Skimmer (great for launching slush balls at your buddies when their backs are turned).
    - Ice fishing traps, or "Tip-ups"
    - Two cases of the cheapest beer you can find (I recommend Narragansett pounders) and at least one bottle of good Irish whiskey per person.

3. Drill holes in ice, alternating between turns at the auger and swigs of beer and whiskey. If the ice beneath your feet shifts and makes that real deep cracking sound, scream like crazy and watch the "new guy" scream like a little girl.

4. Bait and set your tip-ups.

5. Retreat to bobhouse (or cabin back on shore, as long as traps are still in your line of sight).

6. Play cards and drink. Be sure to play a few rounds of {redacted} throughout the day to determine which one of your loser friends will head out with the skimmer to break the ice in the holes to keep your traps from freezing in. Should he refuse, smack him upside the head with your cribbage board. You did bring a cribbage board, right?

7. If during the course of the afternoon, one of your flags pops up, go see if there's a fish on the other end of the line. If there is, you're doing something wrong. Repeat step 6 until you finally get the hang of it.

If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

i was one of the foolish ones, frank talks about. i was on the ice everyday when it got so we could.thats from the end of dec to the end of march if we had ice, and we had barley pop for a warm up on most evenings had a shanty and the works..the best bang for the buck, is a polar the ones that are round rob. they keep the hole form frezun over pretty good and the reels dont get froze up to bad..once that line hits the cold air after its been tripped its froze solid and wont spool good the others are in the water and wont freeze..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Remember Ice Fishing can be VERY Hazardous to your health! Click on the Link below.

Ice Fishing
    Jesus was a Woodworker

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Why go Ice fishing, I got an Ice machine in my freezer...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Ice...

Fishing...

That is all.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Butte Montana which is 1/2 way between Purgatory and Heaven

Ice Fishing

Years ago i spent a winter in Devils Lake, North Dakota. I went one time. They actually set up their "fishing shacks" in rows and set up street signs. Then with a generator they run their TV, Stereo and their HEATER in this 18x8 or 8x10 cubical.

If I were ever to go again the one item I would bring would be my Bible. I spent the whole day praying that the ice would not melt or break.

Jiggs Elphison