I have a new hero.

Frank Fusco

Recently, I had occasion to meet the guy who delivers one of my newspapers. The paper comes over 150 miles from Little Rock. Today, we had (in fact, are still having) a near record snowfall. South of us, Little Rock way, the state had a devastating ice storm. My local carrier has a small import car that is, literally, partly held together with duck tape. He is disabled but wants to work and not be completely dependant on welfare.
That newspaper was delivered.
My 'local' paper was not.
There are all kinds of heroes, he is one of them.

Although I think the term "hero" is often overused, this guy should be commended for his dedication and work ethic. So many people use any excuse not to do the right thing. Lots of people could learn from him. Next time you see him give him a :thumb: from me.

Although I think the term "hero" is often overused, ...
That's one of my pet peeves, also. Everyone is called a "hero". I remember years ago, some woman told me that another woman was "her hero". I thought that was a very unusual choice of words. I could see saying the person was "her role model" or something like that, but the person named had done nothing heroic, they were just living an ordinary life.

Personally, I'd like to see that title reserved for people who put their lives in danger to help someone else, or to achieve some worthwhile goal (including heroics on the battlefield). The overuse of the word "hero" denigrates the real heroes, some of whom died during their heroic action.

Mike

[The same woman I mentioned above once told me she had run a marathon. Having been a marathoner myself, I was skeptical because she clearly did not have the physical conditioning to run a marathon. So I asked her, "Was that a 26 mile marathon?" "No", she replied, "It was a 3 mile marathon."]

Last edited:
3 miles would be 6 marathons for me. And that's assuming I wouldn't fall over dead after the first half mile. :(

I carried the Courier Journal and Louisville Times back when they were morning and evening editions (may still be; don't know). There were some mornings when it wasn't much fun being a paperboy.

My local carrier has a small import car that is, literally, partly held together with duck tape.

Is there a rule that paper carries have to have cars that are on their last legs?
We get a local paper here that's really more ads than a newspaper, but it comes out once a week and the lady that throws it drives a car that sounds as if it's running on only about 3 cylinders and was just rescued from the auto crusher... in 4 years, I don't think she's missed a week of throwing the paper.

Is there a rule that paper carries have to have cars that are on their last legs?
We get a local paper here that's really more ads than a newspaper, but it comes out once a week and the lady that throws it drives a car that sounds as if it's running on only about 3 cylinders and was just rescued from the auto crusher... in 4 years, I don't think she's missed a week of throwing the paper.

The carriers I have seen are all pretty well strapped, finance wise. The pay for carrying is low and car maintenance must eat up a lot of the gross income.