new commission follow up

Dan Noren

Staff member
talked with the pastor friend of my wife, and found out what it is he needs built. it turns out to be a lectern for their little church. he said that he needed it in about 10 days.:eek: i need to finalize the plans, figure out the cut list and stuff tonight.:eek: since rockler is having a sale on cherry during february ($3/bft), cherry it will be, finished with boiled linseed oil and 3 coats of clear shellac. clock is ticking....

Last edited:
good luck and while the glue is dryun take some pics but dont rush it do it right dano, and the next one ask for more time!!!! rome wasnt built in a day..so i hear..:thumb:

the design

it's not fancy, quite straightforward. i plan on rounding the corners on the book shelf, and the board that keeps the books from slipping down.

Attachments

• pulpito.jpg
    pulpito.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 57
Sounds like a fun project. Nothing like a deadline to help get 'er done.

Do you think shellac will be a durable enough finish? I'd think some type of poly would be more durable and about as easy.

When I was doing church commissions, I liked to use a repairable finish and teach them how to keep it looking brand new. It brought them back for new pieces and made them take "ownership" in each piece.

In one small town in Kansas, my finishing procedure and repair process was written up in the local paper. I got a lot of comments from folks who tried it at home and liked the results.

Sometimes the more you give away, the more you get back.

busy day today, started out with finishing the tealight candle holders (see other thread), off to church, then spent the next few hours cutting the boards for this project. i got all the parts cut, and the legs, and a couple of other items glued up today. tomorrow it's glue up the other items that need gluing, and start to fitting the parts. perhaps some sanding will find it's way in too.

Attachments

• boards ready to be cut.JPG
    boards ready to be cut.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 27
  • all parts cut.JPG
    all parts cut.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 26
  • parts ready for glue up.JPG
    parts ready for glue up.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 27
  • legs glued up in clamps.JPG
    legs glued up in clamps.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 27
  • legs out of clamps.JPG
    legs out of clamps.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 27
  • glue up pt 2.JPG
    glue up pt 2.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 26
well, wound up taking a day off from the project yesterday. wasn't feeling too good at all. spent most of the day just schlepping around the apartment.:( today is another day.:D:thumb: got the last of the subassemblies other than the actual book shelf glued up earlier today. this afternoon, taking advantage of it being in the low 20's (manly man woodworking temps:eek:), and sanded everything. i found that i made the legs 2" too long:rofl:, that will be taken care of tomorrow. hopefully tomorrow i will have the whole thing assembled, and ready for oil. then all that's left are the coats of shellac.:D:thumb:

Attachments

• oiled parts 2.JPG
    oiled parts 2.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 26
  • oiled parts 1.JPG
    oiled parts 1.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 26
  • last subassembly.JPG
    last subassembly.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 20
thanks don! there are a lot of things i would do differently, but with only a 5 minute head start, and short work time, i have to really crank on this one. didn't help that i lost yesterday. just couldn't get more than a few feet from stateroom h... :eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

more progress...

today i located the legs on the top plate, and the base. then glued up the top part of the legs, aprons, and shelf for the drawer. tomorrow i plan on cleaning up the edges of the base on the tablesaw, then putting the whole thing together. after that, all that's left is the drawer, and the wavy lines in front representing water. then the beastie is ready for finishing. :D:thumb:

Attachments

• locating legs on top plate.JPG
    locating legs on top plate.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 35
  • locating legs on base.JPG
    locating legs on base.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 28
  • top plate, legs, and base set up.JPG
    top plate, legs, and base set up.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 31
  • midsection glued up.JPG
    midsection glued up.JPG