Extension table for my Grizzly G0691

Ronald Coates

As you may recall, my ext table was damaged in shipping. Grizzly of course shipped a new one and it arrived fine, but it was too late. My wheels had already begun to turn. I decided to build my own.

The going has been slow and I still have a ways to go, but I thought I would give everyone an up date.

I'm attaching a slide show link that will give some details. You can see it's far from perfect with a space here and there and a bit of tear out around some of the pins. Being a guitar builder primarily I've never done anything this big. You would think bigger is easier. I remain unconvinced.

All M/T joints except the top supports which are pinned bridle joints. The leg/sled M/T's are draw pinned and the through M/T's on the spreaders are wedged. Now comes the top... Maybe by spring.

enjoy...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19953182@N07/sets/72157623314828592/show/

That's looking nice, Ronald! My extension was bruised, but not destroyed like yours!!! I'm going to build a shallow torsion box out of 1/2" MDF to replace mine. Not real sure what to do with the factory extension metal base. It should be good for something. I'll cut a reverse curve to fit the rounded edge of the CI extension wing, put a piece of 3/8" hardwood on the outside edges, laminate top and sides with black laminate, and route a bevel to match the CI wing so the wood shows through. Sure would be easier if they had made the CI wings 90 degrees instead of curved!:rofl::rofl::rofl: But we'll see how it goes. I've got to get my mobile base finished first though. Dang cold weather! :( :( :( I need a warm day to finish the painting!
Anxious to see how your's turns out. Mine won't get that fancy of a base.:rolleyes: Jim.

There is a method to my madness. I still need(want) to build a nice work bench to replace my plywood topped one. I thought since I was going to do it I might as well use it to get some experience doing large joinery. I have in mind how I want to do it, but with no base of experience to draw from I felt this ext table would be a great item to practice on. I have learned several lessons along the way and the top will provide more lessons I'm sure. Then it'll be off to do the work bench.

As to the stock table I was thinking of using it as the table portion or perhaps a sled for a shop made wide drum sander. For guitar building a drum sander is a big help, but they're also $$$$. So I've been building one in my head for a while... One of these days I'll do it in wood.:D