My latest acquisitions. Small old arn.

Jim O'Dell

I have been remiss in posting this. I will make amends for that now. I received these from my Dad at Christmas. I had been wanting one of each, but the tool money has been earmarked for other things, and will be for a while to come. But Dad came through.
dscn2534.jpg The small caliper is a Santo No. 3005 5" It is in bad need of a good cleaning. I can get it to slide, but I have to force it. Can anyone tell me how it comes apart? Or should I just immerse it in WD40 for a while and then work it back and forth?
The larger one is a 9" Nippon Seiki. It appears to be newer, or at least well kept. Dad could have purchased this here in the states, or when he was in Japan while in the service during the Korean War. I need to ask him. I was too excited when he handed them to me to even think about questions!! Here's a closer look: dscn2535.jpg

The two micrometers are interesting. The small one is by the Lufkin Rule Co. with a patent date of Aug 1, 1922. Most likely, this was my Grandpa's. He was a civil engineer that worked for the Oklahoma Highway Department for many years. Had quit and opened a Redi Mix Concrete plant with some partners long before I was around. I remember seeing his drafting table and tools in the basement of their house when I was growing up. Sure wish I could have gotten those!!
The large mic is from Millers Falls Co and is a No.701R. Both of these are in pretty good shape. dscn2536.jpg

I've already put the large caliper into use once. It will be nice having these around the shop. Thanks for looking in!! Jim.

hand me downs are always a good thing jim,, i have few as well and have put them back to work after many years of settin on a shelf..you can hear them talk to you as you use them if you listen and feel the touch of those before you.

You're right Larry. I almost feel older wiser hands guiding mine when I pick them up.
Frank, I don't think I want to go to the trouble of building an electroylsis tank just for this. Might get some CLR though. Might even have some of that. Need to check under the sink.:rolleyes: Thanks for the tips. Jim.

I have some similar measuring tools that my dad also gave me. Sometimes when I use them I can only imagine what my dad used them for when he was involved in the space program.

If I do my job right, someday I hope my kids will be able to appreciate them as much as I do.

Thanks for posting! Made me think about what we can give and receive.

Cheers,