Filleted Mobile Home

Jeff Horton

I told you guys I see the darnedest things in my job. Well here is a new one! A mobile home that appears to have been filleted. :thumb:

fillet.jpg

Jeff
Things like this make my day!

[size=+1]Guess somebody sold some scrap aluminum...

Here, there's been a rash of break-ins to vacant houses to steal the copper plumbing and wiring. Lousy economy, compounded by high scrap prices, I guess.
[/size]

Yep....scrap prices must be up.

I'm almost sure that's what took place here. Back in September I had some scrap copper and aluminum sitting around so I decided to make a run to the scrap yard. I had the old line set from my central air unit I replaced last winter and the A coil and condenser. I stripped it all down to just the coils. Also a little bit more scrap copper line and then an old storm door and some aluminum thresholds from a couple of doors I had replaced. I had to go right by the scrap yard so I figured that I would throw it in the truck and drop it off on the way by. Off the top of my head I figured that I'd be lucky to get maybe $12-$15 bucks for it but that was better than nothing. I got there and unloaded the stuff and the guy weighed it and said he'd be right back. He gave me $51 and change! I was shocked. Scrap prices are definitely at all time highs right now.

John

Please explain "lousy economy?":dunno:

[size=+1]Ken,
Here in this area, things are still a bit depressed. Lotsa unemployment due to steel mills having closed, titanium plant laying off, CabinetMaid just laid off 600 more workers, GM plant cut out a whole shift, etc.

Lotsa folks looking for work, or income, and some are not so scrupulous...
[/size]

[size=+1]Ken,
Here in this area, things are still a bit depressed. Lotsa unemployment due to steel mills having closed, titanium plant laying off, CabinetMaid just laid off 600 more workers, GM plant cut out a whole shift, etc.

Lotsa folks looking for work, or income, and some are not so scrupulous...
[/size]
I've got to agree with Jim.

I'm in Michigan and it's pretty rough here. Pfizer just announced they're pulling out and we're losing 2400 jobs. I don't know how things are in Texas, but it's LOUSY here. It seems like companies left and right are packing up and heading for greener pastures and people are following too. We need to put up a sign at the border, "The last one out, please turn out the lights". :(

John

OK Jim and John. You have a reason for your outlook. I see/hear/read that 82% of the people in the US are happy with their life. Likewise, I hear that unemployment is down and that the economy is growing. It appears that it is not the case in your areas.

Thanks for the update.:)

Different areas of the state copper thefts are at an all time high. I see that some suppliers for new homes are delivering with enclosed, lockable trailers. Some OCCUPIED homes have had copper pipes stolen with the water pressure on. My shotgun is loaded.

To give you an idea on how smart some of the thieves that are doing this......Jet boats are manufactured with rather thick aluminum....1/4 or 3/8" IIRC...anyway....there are a half a dozen major jet boat manufacturers here in the valley. Some have shipped jet boats as far away as Nepal.....One of the manufacturers did some major cuts and dropped the scraps in their scrap bin on Thursday evening. Weekly on Friday they take the scrap bin to the only recycler in the valley. On Friday morning they find the building had been broken into.....nothing appeared to be missing until they went to haul the scap bin....it was empty.....They drove to the recycler where they found some of the aluminum with their writing and drawings on them. The manufacturer had reported the theft to the local police. The recycler owner told them the 2 idiots who brought that in...said they were returning with some more.....so the police....the jet boat manufacturer were waiting when the 2 dummies returned with more scraps that had been stolen. So while these two bright guys were waiting to appear in court for these charges.....a neighbor to a local power company building reported seeing 2 guys inside the locked area about 1:00 a.m......You got it......the police arrested them pushing a large wooden spindle filled with aluminum wire that the power company uses for power installation....same guys.....BTW...the judge sentenced them to 7 years.......:rofl:

The local news has regular reports of irrigation equipment disappearing from farms, safety railings on remote bridges being stolen etc.

There is a new bill being introduced in Salem to require the recyclers to get ID from anyone selling scrap and to have a waiting period between dropping off the material and getting paid for it.

I don’t worry about the dumb and desperate among us stealing stuff, but I do worry about the smart and connected doing the same.

We had an employee run off w/ a truckload of scrap aluminum at 2am, but he never got across the river, cuz he was chased by the guy who built my truck. But we also had a salesman spend two months in South America who resigned the day he got back.