And Yet Another Family Visit

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
LOML and I had a great visit today from a Family member from clear across the country. Ken Werner and his lovely wife spent the afternoon and early evening at our house on their way to points north.

We had the obligatory 25¢ tour of the shop, yard, and house, then the wifes went off and did wife things (like watching hummingirds) while Ken gave me some pointers on honing, setting up, and using hand planes. He brought along a nice Stanley #4 to show me an example of how a properly-fettled plane should behave. (I wonder if he realizes he left it here, along with some honing compound and a few sheets of sub-micron abrasive film. Thanks again, Ken.) :thumb: He also got a quick demo of how a vacuum pump works and how well it holds. Now I think he knows what to do with his vacuum pump. (Ken, you forgot to get pics of the vacuum rig. Let me know when you're ready, and I'll send you plenty.)

We finished up with a casual supper of smoked BBQ brisket, chicken satay skewers, grilled pineapple, New Mexico-style green chile stew, and a few other finger foods. Speaking for LOML and myself, we had a great visit, and would welcome them back any time. Plus, if we ever find ourselves in Central New York, they're likely to see us on their doorstep.

And the Picture Police can just hold their horses. :p All the pics are on Ken's camera, so it may be a little while before proof can be posted. For now, just picture George Clooney standing next to Sean Connery. :cool: Not buying that one, huh?...OK...Imagine a handsome normal-looking man standing next to some funny-looking hippie guy. Which one of us is which is purely dependent on your point of view. :D

I got an e-mail message from Ken tonight, with a couple pics attached. So now I have proof the visit really happened. :p

Here's the two of us, with a bit of my cluttered shop thrown in to show we were working on hand planes...

Ken and Vaughn 3T.jpg

And here's another one, just to prove I wasn't standing on a box when the pics were taken :D...

Ken and Vaughn 1T.jpg

You flatworkers will be happy to hear that after the Werners left, I spent a few hours in the shop fettling my meager collection of planes. I saw improvement in all of them, but also see I have a way to go before they're performing at same the level as the No. 4 that Ken gave me. It's my new benchmark. A person can read all about planes and learn lots of info, but until they actually use one that's been sharpened and set up right, they won't know what it's really supposed to feel like.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed the visit, and hope to see them again. :thumb: :wave:

Well Vaughn it really is good to see a visit like this take place. And to see you crossing over to the flat side well what a nice influence Ken has had on you.:D

Can only agree on the planes aspect. Boy they are addictive. I found it to be pure fun simply planning wood with no objective other than playing with the plane.:rofl:

Nice gift and benchmark you were left with.:thumb: Way to go Ken. Enjoy your break Ken.

Wow, family visits from one side of our great country to the other:D. Man I have to try that some day..........OH, right, Vaughn we will see you and others come this April:D:wave:

Vaughn is being way too modest. The dinner he prepared for us was fabulous. Man I wish I could fettle a smoked BBQ brisket like Vaughn can!

LOML and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit, and we left knowing we had spent time with kind and kindred spirits.

We're still on the road for several more days. Having way too much fun.

Best regards to you all.

Ken

PS - Bob, Vaughn is the good looking one.
Tod, ditto back to you.

And in additional to company and wonderful hospitality, we left with a lovely hollow form by Vaughn. Ben's gonna have to pull his socks back on after they got knocked off by it.

Thanks again Vaughn.