Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I turned a gift for someones whom I haven't met yet....

I turned a gift for someones whom I haven't met yet....

In fact, nobody has met these individuals...yet.....

My youngest son and wife are expecting twins in the next 8 weeks. They asked me to turn a couple rattles for the twins. So here's my first atttempt. I have enough wood for 7 more attempts. I have already come up with some changes for revision 2.

While I have a lot of cherry and apricot, I didn't want to use any fruit wood that might have had pesticides sprayed on it. So....I bought some kiln dried maple figuring it was either the least probable to have had pesticides used on it and if not..I'm ignorant and claim my innocense due to that.

I had some pretty severe dental work done Thursday morning and have been under the weather or at least keeping a low profile until this afternoon.

Here it is..maple with a light frictioned BLO followed by dewaxed shellac finish.

I hope you like it little ones.......Grandpa's first gift......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rattle1.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	41992
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-01-2010 at 07:18 AM.
    Ken
    ------

Very cool Ken, I hope it survives and becomes a family heirloom

What did you use inside to make the "Rattle" part?

I've heard of things like green peas etc.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    ...Grandpa's first gift.....
    And by no means the last, I'm sure. Version 1.0 looks very nice...I'll be interested to see what you have in mind for V2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    ...What did you use inside to make the "Rattle" part?
    The ones my granddad made for me had shards of radioactive glass and rusty thumb tacks. And the rattles always had a screw-off top. He was the best granddad ever.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    .........The ones my granddad made for me had shards of radioactive glass and rusty thumb tacks. And the rattles always had a screw-off top. He was the best granddad ever.
    Boy, that explains a LOT.......
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Real nice Ken
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Looks good Ken
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Thanks guys! I used popcorn as the rattle material.

The joint where the two halves are glued together....is hidden by the middle burn line.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-01-2010 at 02:33 PM.
    Ken
    ------

Very nice. And, I'll bet you were smiling all the time you were working on those. Congrats on the coming grands.
    If I had known how wonderful it is to have grandchildren, I would have had mine first.
    BTW, I believe your fears of pesticide in the wood is unfounded. Those are applied externally. Now, I'm sure, someone will tell me they can go systemic. Whatever.
    You can't go wrong playing it safe.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Hopefully the dental work wasn't due to turning the gift!!??!!
    Very, very nice work/rattle. I tip my glass to all of you in a toast that this is the first of a long line of gifts you turn for these two!!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Jonathan,

The dental work was strictly due to bad genetics and being a smoker for 41 years. I quit smoking 4 or 5 years ago. This is in preparation for some more extreme and expensive dental work. I was hoping to retire in March. Even though we have some pretty good dental insurance, it won't cover a lot of what I'm having done. So I'm working a couple more years.

Frank,

Some pesticides are systemic and like you I think the chances are remote but......

my youngest is a 3rd year dental student....his wife is a pharmacist. They are both very health conscious and frankly...the twins will be the first in either of our families...no history on either side.....I asked my son about that...he is an 11 year Navy vet....a 3rd year dental student on a Navy scholarship.....and has a college degree in Natural Sciences (pre-med) ....no history ......how can it be?.....his reply "Dad....somebody has to be the first!"....I found it hard to argue with his logic.
    Ken
    ------