bad day at the BORG

Frank Fusco

Really, a bad day FOR the BORG.
In this case it was Lowe's.
Our ancient clothes washer konked out. Wifey said we were getting a new washer. Wifey spoke, it was going to happen, arguments to the contrary not allowed.
So, Monday, I decided to do some preliminary comparison shopping. First went to Lowe's. They had lots and lots of appliances on display. In fact, so many, it is confusing to just look without assistance.
I spent over 15 minutes browsing the machines and reading the signs, opening doors and, figuratively, kicking tires.
Nearby at the appliance desk were three sales people, two men and a woman. I know they looked at me several times but none ever came over to ask if they could help.
Finally, I decided if this was the kind of service given by Lowe's on big ticket purchases, their after sale service was probably going to be just as bad, or worse.
I left, went home, wrote an e-mail to Lowe's HQ complaining.
I also went to the local independant appliance dealer we have been buying from for many years. Got a smile and "Howdy" as soon as I walked in plus the full tour of washers available with understandable explanations of changes and what is new. The prices were better on identical models than Lowe's. Plus, where Loew's charges extra for hoses and delivery the independant doesn't. Plus local guy knows we live in the county, not city, and saved us 1% on sales tax. Not a biggie but savings is savings.
Next day, brought wifey to independant. She got same courteous service. We picked out what we wanted, a Frigidare front loader, paid and went home. Less than an hour later the very courteous and expert delivery guys came, took away the old klunker and installed our shiny new washer.
Rod says a business should tell folks why to buy from them. These folks not only told us why, the showed us why.

I guess my question is, why did you go to the BORG first? And,,,,,,, if they had given you service, you might have purchased without going to independent. Why?

As I said, it was a scouting expedition for comparison purposes. If their prices and service were better than the independent I might have bought there. Loyalty to my pocketbook and good service come before loyalty to the independent. On most purchases over $25.00 I do as much comparison shopping as possible.

Last summer I purchased a dishwasher from Lowe's. It came with "Free" delivery. Actually, you pay the $65 and then they send you a visa card in about a month for the same amount. Well, I had my hands full this past summer so the card went in the wallet for a 'future' purchase. Unfortunately, I learned too late the card is only good for 90 days and 7-10 of that is burned up in them getting it to you. I was very ticked and let the local store manager know he had sold me his last appliance and anyone else I could tell.

Frank, let me know if you hear back from Lowe's HQ. I might go that route also if its worth the effort.

I have mixed feelings about this. Lots of folks don't want help, especially at the BORG. And speaking as a man myself, I suspect most men would RATHER be left alone until we ask. If you looked like you knew what you were doing, maybe they were just giving you some space. I don't think it would've hurt too much to approach them. After all, you saw them there (which puts you ahead of the curve in my experience). :dunno:

My parents bought new in Plymouth (about an hour's drive to the East) after their house burnt. I have always pretty much gone to our local Sear's store about 15 miles away. Been replacing dishwashers every 3 years it seems like, so needed a stove a couple of months ago, went to Plymouth, did take the Lowe's and Menard's sale bills in with us. Made a heck of a deal, delivered and hooked up (gas) and hauled the old one away. I really didn't like going to my local Sear's guy, but like you said Frank, some votes have to be decided on by your wallet! I hope you didn't think I was jumping you. I just wondered. I guess now we know why they had so many appliances for you to check out! they aren't selling any!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Frank,
You should hear from Lowe's HQ, not sure if you'll get satisfactory answer, but should hear... I only worked at the local Lowe's in Athens, TN for a short while in the tool and hardware department, but policy was to greet each and every customer, ask if they needed help and help them if needed... or if they didn't want help, leave them alone until they asked... the big ticket items like appliances are usually commission items over and above the salary... guess those folks were getting enough salary that day...:D:D

Good for you Frank.:thumb: Way to go supporting the independent small busines guy.

Don i couldnt agree more. I support the local hardware for the same reasons. They got it all and are pretty helpful if they dont. Costs a few cents more but its worth it.

Kirk I can agree with you somewhat. I would say they should come over and recognise you and alert you to the fact that they are there to help should you need assistance then allow you to let them know you need your space. They dont need to ignore the fact that you are there.

I used to walk into stores when i was supplying systems to the large shopping malls in the US.

Several times we would do this on a quiet weekday while waiting for something or other.

Many times the clerks would be sitting playing cards at the desk and not get up to even acknowledge your presence.

Use to let my friend and customer the mall manager know and he would address it with the corporate people responsible for the chain. They would comlain to him about sales and he had the ammo to fight back about the staff and the management of the store.:)

Frank i did the same thing here the other day.

Was trying to book tickets to take the MIL and SWMBO to see Avatar at the Imax. Hey tried doing it on the web so as to not bother anyone but their website was playing up. So I called the venue. Each time i called someone would answer and hang up. Initially i thought ok try again someone else will answer. No luck repeatedly.
So i got mad and got onto the site looked for customer service at the corporate office. Yup you guessed it called them and got a message to say they were being inundated with exceptionally high call volumes leave a message and they would call back. I wont repeat the message i left them. Then i found a customer service email address which they had also advised should be used in their voice message. I wrote to the message letting them know all about it and what i thought of their customer service.
Still waiting for the response. If it were not for MIL coming i would definitely not be bothering.

Its not hard to do good customer service with some ethics.;)

Last summer I purchased a dishwasher from Lowe's. It came with "Free" delivery. Actually, you pay the $65 and then they send you a visa card in about a month for the same amount. Well, I had my hands full this past summer so the card went in the wallet for a 'future' purchase. Unfortunately, I learned too late the card is only good for 90 days and 7-10 of that is burned up in them getting it to you. I was very ticked and let the local store manager know he had sold me his last appliance and anyone else I could tell.

Frank, let me know if you hear back from Lowe's HQ. I might go that route also if its worth the effort.

Yep. I got an e-mail apology from the store manager.

I have mixed feelings about this. Lots of folks don't want help, especially at the BORG. And speaking as a man myself, I suspect most men would RATHER be left alone until we ask. If you looked like you knew what you were doing, maybe they were just giving you some space. I don't think it would've hurt too much to approach them. After all, you saw them there (which puts you ahead of the curve in my experience). :dunno:

Kirk, I have owned stores so may be a bit hyper-sensitive about this issue. It was my policy that all customers were greeted promptly. Even if the clerk was busy with another customer, taking a second to smile, greet and say, "I'll be right with you." was carved-in-stone policy.
To "suspect" what a customer is thinking or wants costs sales. I know from experience.
Courtesy doesn't cost a store anything but it does make sales, sometimes more than all other factors combined.

Don, this was our first major appliance purchase since the two BORGs opened in our town. Before that the local guy had no competition. I still believe it was wise to do some comparison shopping. BTW, local guy can hardly keep up with business since the BORGs opened. Built a new warehouse and has a second delivery truck and two new men to deliver. He is doing something right.

Usually the folks in Lowes won't leave me alone. They're getting better though which probably means I spend far too much time there.

I would most likely have sent off an email as well notifying them of what occurred and purposefully being kind in the email. The quality of response I get determines if I continue to do business with them. If the responder doesn't take ownership of the situation, I probably won't be back. An apology, while nice, comes across as not wanting to deal with it anymore than just having to respond.

Had I been the store manager in this case, I would have asked you to ask for me the next time you were in the store so that we could discuss it further to gauge your expectations and also convey what we'd want you to expect if it's progressively better than what your current expectations are. People seem to lose sight that it's not just one person you're talking to but an entire forum. :D