My Free Lathe

As you may know I was given a lathe awhile back. While it is not a high dollar piece, it does what it is supposed to do. Done a little work to it since I got it. Made the rack for the tools, used a design I found here. Put a stiff bottom on it and locking casters. Oh and a new switch. Don't have that much invested, so I ain't out much.

IMG_3931.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

I think I need to learn a lesson from you, and that's to make even the most basic things look good. You have been doing a great job of putting things together and taking your time to make them look and work good. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I get in a rush and will just 'slap' something together, and then later wish I'd taken the time to do it right.

Brent, I am using it as part of my learning curve. I finish all my shop "furniture". I try and use something new each time. My shop is a collection of what works. Most built ins have OSB sides. It works and I had it here. Just I keep looking for that next great idea/ challenge. "I don't make mistakes, I have a wood stove to get rid of the evidence."

I have 2 tables to build for a taxidermist friend. He told me not to get to crazy with them. Oh the ideas I have.

When I was working on the dust buggy, my father in law came up. He said "you got that mad scientist look in your eyes again". That's just how I get sometimes. Fired up, juices get flowing and away we go.

Sorry for the long post, must be the finish fumes.

Brent, I am using it as part of my learning curve. I finish all my shop "furniture". I try and use something new each time. My shop is a collection of what works. Most built ins have OSB sides. It works and I had it here. Just I keep looking for that next great idea/ challenge. "I don't make mistakes, I have a wood stove to get rid of the evidence."

I have 2 tables to build for a taxidermist friend. He told me not to get to crazy with them. Oh the ideas I have.

When I was working on the dust buggy, my father in law came up. He said "you got that mad scientist look in your eyes again". That's just how I get sometimes. Fired up, juices get flowing and away we go.

Sorry for the long post, must be the finish fumes.

Steve, I too try to do things like that, I've worked hard at improving my way of working from slapping something together just to get it done, to trying to slow down a bit and make it better, it is not easy for me, I'm always pressed for time, but now I'm doing better at looking a week or months down the road, instead of just what I can get done on a Sunday.

Your lathe looks great, I got a similar one from a buddy in the US for the price of shipping, it is what got me hooked :D

Don't worry about these flat ONLY guys, they are just jealous :D :rofl: :rofl: