Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dishwashers... food grinder mandatory!

Dishwashers... food grinder mandatory!

Just a bit of a minor rant, and passing on my advice for anyone shopping around...

About 9-10 or so years ago my wife and I needed a new DW after moving into our house. We settled on a Bosch unit (SHU-300) mostly because it boasted high energy efficiency. It was a low water use unit, and other good stuff that we thought was worth the price premium.

The big pain, we learned, was that this unit does NOT have a food grinder in it. I believe that is because of the water recycling aspect of the unit.

After living with this thing for ten years... There is no way that I would buy another Dishwasher UNLESS it came with a food grinder. Every 3-6 months I have to remove the screen/filter at the bottom and dig around in the pump intake with a thin piece of metal. Usually one of the kids has dumped a bowl in the DW with an unpopped popcorn kernel (or 3 or 5!) or maybe a peanut, or perhaps a bit of orange or apple stem is down there blocking things up.

Tonight was the worst yet. After lots of digging around inside with no success I finally had to disconnect the drain line where it connects to the plumbing and there I found a 1-2" long "plug" of greasy chunky gunk. Fortunately it was at the end of the hose and not somewhere else!

Never again. When this thing finally dies, the next unit WILL have a food grinder in it. We'll figure out some other way to save water!

So there's my bit of dishwasher advice to everyone else out there.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

I don't know if ours has a grinder or not, but we don't really need one here. We end up rinsing things off pretty thoroughly before they go into the dishwasher. With just the two of us, it might be a couple or three days between running loads, so if we leave much stuff on the dishes the ants will be all over the place.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I'm with vaughn, we rinse all the food off b4 it goes in. Never had a problem.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Oh yeah, been there done that. The GE I had did that about every 10 teenager loadings. Had to pull the screen and suck out the inlet with the mini shop vac. We finally changed to the liquid detergent, which helped some, but still got the clogs.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Our dishwasher empties into the garbage disposal.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    Our dishwasher empties into the garbage disposal.
    Ours did too, but didn't help with the "stuff" that was too large to get out of the dishwasher or with grease clogs.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

When we moved to our little compound here in the desert, one of the things we liked was the kitchen. Decent cabinets, nice counter, new appliances.

Tried using the dishwasher. Just wouldn't work at all. Found out that the idiot who installed it and hooked it up to the garbage disposal didn't knock out the knockout plug on the garbage disposal!

And don't get me started on the microwave/vent. It was trying to vent the air up into the cabinet above the microwave, instead of out through the front. (Putting a real vent to the outside is on my project list one of these days...)
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I'm with vaughn, we rinse all the food off b4 it goes in. Never had a problem.
    Interesting that about 4 months ago I was reading an article that discussed water conservation and dishwashers, and they maintained that a good dishwasher is actually saving you water over handwashing, but only if you don't rinse the dishes beforehand.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Ya ain't got dogs, do ya, Art?

When stuff goes into our dishwasher, it's already been tongued so clean it's hard t'tell if a load's been run or not. I hafta' feel in the tops (bottoms) of the coffee mugs to see if there's a puddle of water in each. If there is, it's a clean load. If not, it's dirty.
    -- Tim --

Art I had a good laugh when i saw your post. Made me feel great. No not because you having a tough time with the DW. Just because i felt i was no longer alone with my beast.

We never had one of these things in our life before coming to Canada. It has been a most interesting experience having one. Cause it is treated as anything but a dishwasher. Yup ours is the protected queen of the kitchen.

SWMBO (at the moment she aint loml) insists we put clean dishes in there. For your very reason and because in the beginning we put semi dirty dishes in and the tough stuck on stuff got hardened onto the dishes and could only be prized off with hard scraping. That was the end of the dishwasher doing any hardwork and in my opinion any work at all.

I gave up the fight to save water. And coming from a place where droughts could go on at extreme for 10 years we sure were conscious of it. But it simply causes me too much grief to be at "General Custer's Last Stand" every time its a mealtime. No matter what i try "Custer (me) looses the battle of little Big Horn."

I guess we could probably start a therapy group for "dishwasher anxiety'

My latest attempt at teaching the kids (wait trying to teach my kids) to have a conservation bone in their body relates to when to use appliances to save not in the cost of energy so much as the spread of demand to offset having to build more power plants. But i fear this is more like a lost battle before i start. No one wants the scheduling of DW's start up time for its waste of time water and energy run.

Take care Art knowing you aint alone in the dishwasher woes club.
    cheers