there is a dicusssion to out law the word

retard; well I need to buy some solution to slow down the drying time of my finish. Whew !
The definition of the word retard is "A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay". Am I not allowed to ever use that word to describe an idea? Even if it would cause a slowing down or hindering of my progress? If we all want to be treated equal, we need to stop putting ourselves in a special categories

Last edited:
then would we have fire developemtally disabled material? now i'm gonna have to tell my brother he can only advance or developmentally disable the timing on his street rod. oh what a silly world....:rofl:

I think you all know that it's not the word itself but how it's used. For example, everyone uses the word "boy", but in a certain situation it could be used in a very demeaning fashion. Same with the word "retard".

Mike

Last edited:
I know what John is talking about.

And I think I know what Dave is referring to. The material we use for slowing down drying of a finish is called "retarder". It is usually a "hotter" version of a thinner (in the case of lacquers) or reducers (as in the case of enamels, etc.). It is the opposite of the fast dry thinners or reducers that flash off quickly. The retarders don't evaporate as fast and the solvents keep the finish flowing longer.

It's good stuff, when used right. Sometimes it's needed around here as the drying of finishes can get pretty fast in our climate.

Aloha, Tony

If this tread was prompted or inspired by something one of the radio pundits or political spokesmen said recently, let it go man, Just let it go.

There's a time and place for everything, and this is neither. ;)

If we all want to be treated equal, we need to stop putting ourselves in a special categories.

I agree wholeheartedly. :thumb: