Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving in the snow

Driving in the snow

My 4x4 van kicked butt in the last storm with the ATV in the back. I need to pick up my son Jake down at Fork Union in middle Va Tomorrow at 12:30 for Winter break. It's 2.5 hours one way. May take all day to get back with out major hold ups. I am thinking of letting him stay at the school and ask him to apply for leave next weekend. But I love driving in the snow. The Road warrior spirit is strong. LOL We are expecting over 2 '

I've logged hundreds of hours of driving TT in snow in Korea, school buses, hunting trips so I have no problem with the driving part. It's the fools I need to get around the 2 wheel drive cars that move or don't move. That want to drive in the fast lane at 10 MPH LOL

If I were single I would join my cousin in Alaska and drive the Ice Roads. That would be awesome.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

For those of you who haven't heard, this is what Dave's talking about:

http://www.weather.com/weather/alert...=KLWX&etn=0006

The city was completely shut down last weekend by far less than half of the snow we're expecting this time. Of course Doorlink, as dyed-in-the-wool New Englander, was out driving in it. The snow itself didn't bother her, but I got an earful about the local drivers. On the cellphone. In real time...

Thanks,

Bill

I'm a southern boy who considers 'snow' a 4 letter word....I don't go out in it if not absolutely necessary... you go have fun.. I won't be in your way. LOL
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

You know, I'm good with that...

The snow being all in your area that is. I was just thinking about this yesterday, and we have not got anywhere near the amount of snow we normally get. Usually we have one or two major snowfalls by now, and so far, just a few inches here and there. Right now I'm looking at grass as the snow has pretty much all melted.

I do know what you mean about the traffic hazzards on the road tho. I drive TT right now, used to drive a tour bus. It doesn't seem to matter where you are, you still get those white-knuckled drivers in the passing lane.
    Brian

Brian, global warming is moving up to you guys and the cold air stream in moving south. Just a flip flop.

Just got an E-mail telling me I can pick him up after3 PM today. Later.
    Last edited by Dave Hawksford; 02-04-2010 at 05:25 PM.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

I've only plowed once and that didn't really need to be done. I only did it in case it snowed again (it didn't) so it wouldn't build up on top of packed snow from driving on it.

We might get a couple inches tomorrow night into Saturday early morning the way it sounds.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    snow, whats snow ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I've only plowed once and that didn't really need to be done. I only did it in case it snowed again (it didn't) so it wouldn't build up on top of packed snow from driving on it.

We might get a couple inches tomorrow night into Saturday early morning the way it sounds.
    yup this year has been pretty mild alot milder than what i expected from the fall we had..the snow plowers are cryun the blues no snow to plow
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    yup this year has been pretty mild alot milder than what i expected from the fall we had..the snow plowers are cryun the blues no snow to plow
    Totally the opposite here...big year for snow pushers...3-5 more on the way tonight and tomorrow. I'm tired of it!!

Dave and Bill...looks like you guys are in for it...better make sure you have the cuboards stocked!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

oh dont start the raids so soon jeff walmart and the local stores could get ransacked cant understand why folks dont have what they need for emergency times and yet they have to go get carts full in case the world is dark for more than a day
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!