Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washer type mechanism, need help!

Washer type mechanism, need help!

Hey everyone It has been quite some time since I've been on here. Hope everyone is doing well!

I'm looking for a specific kind of washer (at least I guess that's what you'd call it) and I cannot find it ANYWHERE. It is hard to explain exactly what it is, but I guess you would call it a serrated washer, or washer with teeth I attached a picture below with an arrow pointing to the part I'm talking about.

I want to use it in the same application that the picture is showing. I have built adjustable arms to add to my keyboard stand so that I have 2 tiers and can put my synthesizer above my keyboard to play in my band. I attached a couple of pictures to show what I've built so you get an idea. At first I thought the arms would sag when weight was applied to them so I put nylon washers inbetween the moving parts, but those showed no sign of resistance. Then I got some rubber washers and that helped, but the arms still sag slooooowwly until they rest against my keyboard below when I apply weight.

These big washers with teeth I believe would be the perfect solution. I know I have seen them on a number of household items but I have looked everywhere and cannot find them sold seperately. I checked both Rockler and a local Ace Hardware that usually has ANY piece of hardware you can imagine, but no luck Then I spent a long time looking online but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I suppose it would help if I even knew what to call it I am not picky on the size but the steel I used is 1 1/2" so something around that would be great. Wondering if anyone has seen these sold seperately and has an idea where to buy them? Or if anyone has an idea for a different solution? Thanks guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adjustable washer2.JPG   Keyboard Stand 1.jpg   Keyboard Stand 2.jpg   Keyboard Stand 3.jpg  

westly i have seen them in applications like yours but not loose.. but what about putting some coarse sand paper on one or both surfaces and that should grip it well enough to hold possibly..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

What might work for you is Nord-Lock washers, Here is a link to some on Ebay, but you might be able to find different sizes other places.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

washer type mechanism

Look on Mc Master Carr's website they are called tooth lock washers

I've got what looks like the same brand of keyboard stand, and I haven't really seen anything like the serrated plates available elsewhere. They're not really washers per se, since they're attached to the arm and the stand and not loose in between the two, like a washer would be. The Nord-Lock or other tooth lock washers might work, but I'm not sure if they'd be as stable as the meshed serrated plates.

I realize this goes against the "make it yourself" philosophy, but how about something like these?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...and?sku=451023

Several other options listed on the right side of the page, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Everyone, thanks for the suggestions. I truely appreciate it. Dan I saw some of those at the hardware store and was saving them for a last solution. Thanks for the post... I might end up using them. Vaughn yes I agree with what you are saying they are not necesarilly washers but I was wondering if they were sold seperately and then I would just weld them to each side of my metal arms inbetween the joints, or if they came in plastic I could just glue them. But I can't seem to find them anywhere Oh well, it was worth a shot. Yes at this point those pre-made ones you've shown me are looking good But I've already put enough time and money into the ones I've made so I gotta go all the way Everything came out to about $30 so I'm pretty happy. Plus it was fun cutting and welding everything. I will make a trip to the hardware store soon at gather up some nord-lock washers or something similar and see what I can work out. Thanks again everyone.

Vaughn what kind of keyboard do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I've got what looks like the same brand of keyboard stand, and I haven't really seen anything like the serrated plates available elsewhere. They're not really washers per se, since they're attached to the arm and the stand and not loose in between the two, like a washer would be. The Nord-Lock or other tooth lock washers might work, but I'm not sure if they'd be as stable as the meshed serrated plates.

I realize this goes against the "make it yourself" philosophy, but how about something like these?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...and?sku=451023

Several other options listed on the right side of the page, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Westley Rosenbaum View Post
    ...Vaughn what kind of keyboard do you have?
    I've got a cheap Yamaha (PSR225GM) for doing simple things like bass lines, strings, and percussion. (I'm not much of a keyboard player.) I use the stand for the keyboard, a Fostex 8-track digital multi-tracker, and a 6-space equipment rack with things like a Quadraverb and a compressor/limiter. I haven't use the Fostex in several years...what little recording I've done has been directly into the PC with things like Guitar Tracks Pro or Riffworks.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Just for reference, I think you're referring to "star washers". They're available internal (teeth pointing in) and external (teeth pointing out).
    -- Tim --

Wesley dont give up so soon. Ya give us all a research project and you run for the hills before even typed google.

What about these from Mac Master Carr they got everything.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#lock-washers/=5oygih
    cheers

It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.