Thread: Bar top finish?

Westphalia, Michigan

Bar top finish?

I am going to do a new kitchen sometime soon and I had a thought about maybe using the acrylic bar top finish over some nice wood for the kitchen counters. I have no idea how well this would hold up but thought someone here might have some thoughts.

I have no idea if it will stand a hot pan but suspect it will burn. I've never seen a kitchen with such a counter and figure maybe there is a good reason.

Amherst, New Hampshire
    I don't know for sure but I would think that knives would scratch the heck out of it and hot pans would melt it
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Tokyo Japan
    Paul, I agree with Bob, and I'll say that there s a reason why you don't see many wooden kitchen counters anymore

if this is for your house, fine, you know what you are getting into, but if it is for a client, I'd think twice.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Central Illinois
    I've heard of a finish that is epoxy called "enduro(something) and I have seen it in action. It's next to indestructable! ( not the stuff from General finishes) and check out system three. I believe that they have a pretty durible finish, too.

Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Thomasville, GA
    I used waterborne conversion varnish from Target Coatings to finish our kitchen island top that I posted in this thread. The finish is not indestructible but has held up fine to stuff being tossed around on it. It can't handle a hot pan but neither can granite. One still has to use common sense when handling knives, other utensils and pans with any countertop.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Westphalia, Michigan
    I might just have to look into that finish, Bill. I have an ample supply of thin birdseye maple boards. They run about 1/8" thick and I figure after sanding them flat will be just about right for veneering. I guess I should stock the kitchen with lots of trivets so there is always something to set a hot pan on. I have lots of cutting boards, and do most of the cooking so there's no excuses.

That counter top looks awesome!