Thread: Just a thought for family visits...

Just a thought for family visits...

In my idle time at work yesterday...all three minutes of it...I thought of something for the family visits which have occurred and decided to share it in its infancy. Please expand on it as you see fit.

What does everyone think about taking a few pieces of wood, any size, shape, species, and using them to create a sort of journey log? Pass them from family member to family member as we visit and add our own little signature to each piece. It may just be a name and date, or gluing on a shaving from a project that was shared. We're an imaginative bunch and it'd be interesting to see how it evolved.

matt how is it to be transfered from one to the other? some of us are in diffenrt parts of this world and sometime we have two going at the same time
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

i think what he means ol son, is that say, on one of your ambasadorial ramblins, you take a bit of chocolate with you. then while at every shop you grace, you add an autograph of the person, and perhaps a bit of sawdust, or curly shavins if one of the spinny guys. for example, i don't remember who you sent the cocobolo to, but if you visited the shop, glue on a shavin of the cocobolo along with the autograph (darn, i used that word twice now. that's signin' their name larry).
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Ya better watch it Dan Larrys a pretty good bow hunter and i dont want to see that Burro in a glass case on display
    cheers

Yep, when you visit someone, you give them the object. When they visit someone, they pass it along and so on and so on. Each person can add something reflective of their personality, region, or skill. I just envision oner person carving their symbol in, the next putting in an inlay, or whatever. Perhaps even keeping a thread journaling what was done by whom. Could probably even mail something to Stu if you chose to do so.

Yes, I'm aware that each and everyone would probably end up under a pile of dust on someone's bench.

Sort of similar to a keepsake box.....My daughter was on a mission for a while to attempt to collect a sample of dirt or rock from every state in the union that she visited. I think I found that box of dirt in the attic last summer and it took me a while to puzzle what the heck.........

A nice box might be just the ticket.......course Larry would probably try to throw a barley pop bottle in it...............

Larry could make a box you know flat work then as it passed along flat landers could add a small square of wood with their name on it & turniers could add roundtuits with their name on it.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Larry could make a box you know flat work then as it passed along flat landers could add a small square of wood with their name on it & turniers could add roundtuits with their name on it.
    I'd vote for Larry building a box... maybe something like this that he did for me for the swap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails box 001.JPG   box 002.JPG   box 005.JPG  
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.