Thread: Quick ?

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

Quick ?

As i run off to work. Has enyone ever turned a natural edge platter and if so, how do you cut your blanks?
    Thanks Steve

Same as a bowl, but you would need a very flat piece of barked wood
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

What he said....

Stu pretty much said it. You'd have to find a log that has a very broad and flat side if you wanted bark on all edges, and better yet, being from the convex side of a curved trunk.

If you go another route, I have had one bark edge where the "Y" of a tree is, two bark edges when turning a normal log section, and three bark edges also when turning a plate from a crotch.

Hutch

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Same as a bowl, but you would need a very flat piece of barked wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    Stu pretty much said it. You'd have to find a log that has a very broad and flat side if you wanted bark on all edges, and better yet, being from the convex side of a curved trunk.

If you go another route, I have had one bark edge where the "Y" of a tree is, two bark edges when turning a normal log section, and three bark edges also when turning a plate from a crotch.

Hutch
    Thanks guys i'll have to experiment some and see what i can come up with. Theres a lady at wifes work that would like one so i would like to figure it out.

Just a different perspective. While these guys are right, I would tend to go the other way. I'd use a blank cut across the grain and have the bark on it all the way around it. I'd add some thin CA all the way around on both sides of the blank and might even add more if I see an area that is trying to come loose. Hope to see a finished product soon.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Miller View Post
    Just a different perspective. While these guys are right, I would tend to go the other way. I'd use a blank cut across the grain and have the bark on it all the way around it. I'd add some thin CA all the way around on both sides of the blank and might even add more if I see an area that is trying to come loose. Hope to see a finished product soon.
    But then you have the pith in the middle of the piece, and that'll most likely crack it. And not only would turning an end grain platter be fairly difficult, it'd just look like a plain ol' slice of the tree.

Thin CA might make the bark harder, but it's not really gonna improve the bond between the bark and the rest of the wood until something actually breaks off. I'd say just sharpen your tools and cut it. If something breaks, fix it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have done a few like Matt said, square platter with bark on two sides is an easy way to do this.