Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plexiglass war:)

Plexiglass war:)

well this is going into a wooden project so its woodworking but plastic part..
    anyway on to my war,, this is old stuff and the adhesive on the paper is stuck it will come off but the paper tears away from the glue an you get bunches of little pieces of paper and then you have to rub the glue off after that and it doesnt come easy.. any ideas how to get the paper off easier.. and no i am not going to refit this piece out of some new pvc..thanks..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Have you tested acetone or DNA? Either might soften the glue but check for effects on the plexi first.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I'd try some windex first to soften it. The amonia might help with the glue.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

have tried dna rennie but it does make it look hazy..will try to find some windex and see what the does..ammonia wont bother the plexigalss don????
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    have tried dna rennie but it does make it look hazy..will try to find some windex and see what the does..ammonia wont bother the plexigalss don????
    it shouldn't
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Larry,
    Try gently heating the paper with a hair dryer just ahead of the pull line as you take it off. This might help soften the glue enough to pull off easier. Worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Larry,
    Try gently heating the paper with a hair dryer just ahead of the pull line as you take it off. This might help soften the glue enough to pull off easier. Worked for me.
    Oooo. Forgot about this one. I've used it also. Might work.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Have you tested acetone or DNA? Either might soften the glue but check for effects on the plexi first.
    No Acetone it melts plexi I use this combination to finish pens, cut plexi into fine strips & break them up & melt in acetone & wipe on at no speed for first coat & then low speed there after for a build up.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

WD40 workes for everything elsle....I've cleaned the glue used on labels off jars with it.. don't know what it will do to the plexi though... check that.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Heat gun, but be quick and wear gloves. I used a plastic putty knife to get under it just behind the heat gun.

Hair dryer was too slow for me, but heat does work.