Plexiglass war:)

larry merlau

well this is going into a wooden project so its woodworking but plastic part..
anyway on to my war,, this is old stuff and the adhesive on the paper is stuck:eek: it will come off but the paper tears away from the glue an you get bunches of little pieces of paper and then you have to rub the glue off after that and it doesnt come easy.. any ideas how to get the paper off easier.. and no i am not going to refit this piece out of some new pvc..thanks..

Larry,
Try gently heating the paper with a hair dryer just ahead of the pull line as you take it off. This might help soften the glue enough to pull off easier. Worked for me.

Heat gun, but be quick and wear gloves. I used a plastic putty knife to get under it just behind the heat gun.

Hair dryer was too slow for me, but heat does work.

Heat gun, but be quick and wear gloves. I used a plastic putty knife to get under it just behind the heat gun.

Hair dryer was too slow for me, but heat does work.

my thoughts aswell after tryun it.. al i got for heat gun is a mapp torch that might be to hot huh:rolleyes: but have tried the wd40 for the glue mess afterwards.. should have just pitched wha ti had for the aggravation i am having because ot the old stuff:(

well the first battle is won:)

i tried to post this once before and it vanished so here we go again if any one finds the other one let me know and i will delete it...

any way i gave the thing a bath of mineral spirits and then used carols idea of a plastic scraper.. tried a dull metal one but the made some light scratches,, so i hope i can buff them out after its all cleanqed up..any idea of what i can use to buff it? i was thinkun on using some Mac Quires polish on it. if they dont come out its not gonna matter it will just look used:)

Toss the whole mess in the trash and go get a new piece:thumb:
At this point it sounds like you have spent more in time and materials than a new piece costs.:thumb::wave:

Ronsonol (Zippo fluid) is THE solvent for that stuff. It's still not really easy peeling, but the Ronsonol does the best job there is to be done. Works well on any sort of label, too.

hey chuck, its the thought that counts right??/ and its that vday thing coming that i cant forget...and it seems to be another dont miss day as well .. so anyway the other side is clean but i need to buff it up to get my scratches off if i can what to use for the you mac giver fans:) and i cant leave the premises or i will be in real trouble:eek:

i was reachun fer it chuck but never got my mitts on it:) thanks just the same.. well i got the other side cleaned off and finished the project and got a nice attah boy besides so even if it took all day to do it i still got what i was after:D:thumb::thumb: thanks and i only got alittel bit of this old stuff left and will look at gettin some new next time this paper thing is aggrevating...

Hi Larry.

I'm sorry I might be late for this, but you can buffer it with green paste polish and a cloth wheel. After that just normal car polish will leave it as new. If the scratches are too deep yoou'll have to use water paper working from a fine grit to the finest you can get.

However, be carefull when polishing or you will make depressions on the surface that will be seen when looking at an angle to the piece.