Thread: Crosscut Sled Size

Crosscut Sled Size

I am going to build a sled or two. What are the size(s) that you have? I think I want one with a double runner and a single runner for small pieces.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    My regular cross cut sled is 40"x20". MY Dado sled is 24"x18"
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

my double runner is 38 wide and 28 deep. ..don, i would like to see your dado sled????
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    my double runner is 38 wide and 28 deep. ..don, i would like to see your dado sled????
    It ain't nothin fancy just a double runner with a 3/4" slot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dado sled.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	42124

I wish I'd made it bigger but it gets the job done.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Panel sled 33' deep x 4' wide cuts lower cabinet sides nice & square.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Steve I aint finished mine but after great help from folks here i will be putting an insert in the middle so you can do either dados or cross cuts and tilted blade inserts too.
    cheers

Make it at least 24" deep. You'll be surprised at how often you need to cut a panel two feet wide. There's a limit to how deep you can make it, of course. Eventually, it could cover the whole saw and when you pull it back to get that wide panel, it falls off the saw.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm sure all of mine have appeared in one sled thread or another. Mine have ZCI's so I have sets of throats for blade or dados. Same sled different throats. My small bevel sled is about 2" square with tracks for holding box sides and other small parts for mitering along the edge. My "small" sled is used for most things; 36" wide with 20-1/2" between the fences. The blade path is about 12-1/2" from the right side giving me more support at the left. Your shop layout may not benefit from this.

The "large" sled is again 36" wide but about 38" between the fences. Again the blade path is about a third of the width from the right. I also have a frame-type miter attachment for the large sled that is fixed for 45*. The reason for multiple sleds is ease of setup. Except for dados, I just grab a sled and use it; no setup. There are of course, times when the last thing I did was a dado and I have to change the throat for a blade.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke