Crosscut Sled Size

Steve I aint finished mine but after great help from folks here i will be putting an insert in the middle so you can do either dados or cross cuts and tilted blade inserts too.

Make it at least 24" deep. You'll be surprised at how often you need to cut a panel two feet wide. There's a limit to how deep you can make it, of course. Eventually, it could cover the whole saw and when you pull it back to get that wide panel, it falls off the saw.

Mike

I'm sure all of mine have appeared in one sled thread or another. Mine have ZCI's so I have sets of throats for blade or dados. Same sled different throats. My small bevel sled is about 2" square with tracks for holding box sides and other small parts for mitering along the edge. My "small" sled is used for most things; 36" wide with 20-1/2" between the fences. The blade path is about 12-1/2" from the right side giving me more support at the left. Your shop layout may not benefit from this.

The "large" sled is again 36" wide but about 38" between the fences. Again the blade path is about a third of the width from the right. I also have a frame-type miter attachment for the large sled that is fixed for 45*. The reason for multiple sleds is ease of setup. Except for dados, I just grab a sled and use it; no setup. There are of course, times when the last thing I did was a dado and I have to change the throat for a blade.