Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Pump

Vacuum Pump

Does anyone have this unit? If so did it come complete? I was looking at getting one but it has this below the picture. (Requires 384 mFd, 165 VAC start capacitor and 30 mFd, 330 VAC run capacitor and starting relay (none of these three are furnished). It is listed at the surplus center here: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...40&catname=air

I am going to call them Monday to see if they have those parts that they say it requires in stock.

Thanks for any info.

4 CFM AIR COMPRESSOR 115 VAC .43 HP

Item# 4-1340

Our Price $69.99
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Pump.jpg  
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Don't forget the cradle mount! Your $70 could mount up in a hurry here.

Bernie: I looked at the website and found a Gast vacuum pump for $54.95; Item #4-1669. It's 230 volts, but Gast makes good pumps and the price is right.

Woody

Bernie, since you want a vacuum pump take a look at Joe Woodworker of Veeneer Suppliers site.
    http://www.veneersupplies.com/vacuum_press.php

I know they aint as cheap as surplus but when you finished adding all the bits and pieces missing it might be worth it. They have a recon pump on sale now for around $120 complete
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Magnuson View Post
    Bernie: I looked at the website and found a Gast vacuum pump for $54.95; Item #4-1669. It's 230 volts, but Gast makes good pumps and the price is right.

Woody
    That's the pump a lot of us have, but as I recall, Bernie doesn't have access to 220v in his shop.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for the info. Vaughn is right as I don't have 220v in my shop. I would have to upgrade my electrical panel as well as have wiring run. It would be pretty costly to have this done. Should have did it 20 yrs ago but didn't have the money then and now that I am retired not sure I want to spend it now.

On the other hand I found a guy that puts these together and I think I will get a new unit from him with gauge and filter for $214 shipped. Also he is putting together a kit (hose, bleeder valve, barbed connectors, etc) I think he said for $60. No matter which vacuum I get I am also getting from him a precision hand wheel kit for my Nova DVR XP which will then fit the vacuum adapter that just slips into the hand wheel kit. I will also get a hand wheel kit for my Jet 1220. Then I just pop the vacuum adapter off one lathe and plug it into the other since I will be putting the vacuum chucking system on a cart. These are precision made and yes pricey at $200 for the two hand wheel kits and the adapter.

So I think we will give it a try and go from there. Thanks again to all.
    Bernie W.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie, If you can wait a little bit I should be able to get you a commercial vacuum pump. I will be going to Michigan State University salvage this Friday and I often see vacuum pumps there. A month ago there was a half dozen pumps that left the building when I did. the guy's who bought them were going to use them on a cyclotron project they were building. I have picked up 5-6 of these pumps and while some are 220 volt I have gotten several 110 volt. hey typically run $10 to $35.

Paul, sorry I have already placed the order. I figured since I was getting both hand wheel adapters, one for the DVR XP and one for the Jet with the adapter that fits both I might as well get everything at one place. All pieces and parts have a warranty on them. Thanks for giving me the opportunity. I do appreciate it.
    Bernie W.

Where?

Do you mind sharing where you found that package, Bernie?

TIA
    Last edited by Glenn Lawson; 02-27-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: error, (brain freeze)

Hi there Glenn welcome to the family. How about updating your profile and letting us know more or less which continent you on.

You can also do a intro piece on yourself if you like. Ya see to me that comes from far away places I would put you in Africa with the TIA.

TIA = This is Africa

Yeah i know

TIA - Thanks in advance.
    cheers