Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You decide....did the countertop installers screw me up or not.......

You decide....did the countertop installers screw me up or not.......

I have a kitchen remodel that I am in the middle of. The maple cabinets are installed and they are sanded and (were) ready for finishing, but they are yet raw wood.

Today, the countertop installers installed the full height backsplash. The bottom of the upper cabinets meet the backsplash at six places. The installers caulked the gaps between the backsplash and the wall, including the joint between the backsplash and the cabinets in those six places. At five of those junctions, they wiped/smeared the clear caulk on the raw wood maple plywood. The spots range in size from 3/4" x 1" to 1" x 1 1/2".

I believe/assume the caulk is a latex product but I don't really know exactly.

How can I remove the caulk and will I be able to remove it completely so that it doesn't affect the finish?

I will need to back charge the installers for the needed repairs (to this issue and for the dings that the guy who did the template put in the faceframes). Any idea on a charge for this repair to these five areas?

Thanks very much for your help, suggestions and advice.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios View Post
    The bottom of the upper cabinets meet the backsplash at six places. The installers caulked the gaps between the backsplash and the wall, including the joint between the backsplash and the cabinets in those six places. At five of those junctions, they wiped/smeared the clear caulk on the raw wood maple plywood. The spots range in size from 3/4" x 1" to 1" x 1 1/2".

I believe/assume the caulk is a latex product but I don't really know exactly.

How can I remove the caulk and will I be able to remove it completely so that it doesn't affect the finish?

I will need to back charge the installers for the needed repairs (to this issue and for the dings that the guy who did the template put in the faceframes). Any idea on a charge for this repair to these five areas?

Thanks very much for your help, suggestions and advice.
    What ever you get it won't be enough..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I don't know a lot about this other than my Dad building, finishing & installing custom cabinets. So I need to ask a question.

Why wern't the cabinets finished before installation?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Steve Clardy Guest
    I don't understand wht they sealed it UNDER the upper cabinets
    What was the purpose of that?

Steve....if they installed solid surface counter tops often...the sealant/caulk is what attaches it to the cabinets.

Steve Clardy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Steve....if they installed solid surface counter tops often...the sealant/caulk is what attaches it to the cabinets.
    Yes. On the counter top itself. But under the upper cabinets?
    You can't see under there unless you have 12" legs

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    I don't know a lot about this other than my Dad building, finishing & installing custom cabinets. So I need to ask a question.

Why wern't the cabinets finished before installation?

The painter that I usually have stain/finish my cabinets needed to go out of state to take care of his mother. The customer originally wanted a stained finish. I didn't feel that I'm good enough to finish them (maple....odd color stain....blotchiness....etc....) so I was trying to find another painter to do them. Then, the customer changed their minds and decided to go with just an oil finish with a clear topcoat. Okay, great....I just MIGHT be able to do that type of finish successfully. However, I'm still working on making new doors for the three 45 degree corner cabinets (they want glass in them now, complete with grids, instead of inset panel like the rest of the doors), the other parts of the kitchen remodel like the plumbing and reinforcing the floor for the tile, and other parts of the job like hardwood floor prep throughout and painting four rooms and 38 feet of hallway.

Stuff like that.

I'm still trying to find a painter...................

Any ideas on how to take care of the caulk problem?

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 01-24-2007 at 02:48 AM.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Steve Clardy Guest
    Its probably silicone. Yer in for some serious sanding

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Yes. On the counter top itself. But under the upper cabinets?
    You can't see under there unless you have 12" legs
    So....do you have something against short people Steve?

Yeah........It sounds like the bottom of the upper cabinets meet the backsplash in 6 different places and the installers caulked where they meet....? I didn't catch that the first time..........as they say....Quien Sabe?

Mark, I don't have a good solution for you. I hope for your sake it isn't silicon! Scraper and sandpaper would be the direction I'd look. Good luck!