Thread: Black and White Ash Bowl

ABQ NM

Black and White Ash Bowl

This is the ash piece I showed pics of a couple weeks ago with the nail in it. The nail was just the last thing I pulled out of the blank. Here's the total haul from that piece of wood. There's more in the other half of this log, but I haven't used my Powermatic rotary metal detector on it yet. (I did use the Stihl gas-powered metal detector already, though. That's how I know there's metal in the other half.)

Attachment 42185

The finished bowl is 17 1/2" x 3 3/4", and it warped slightly...not enough to be very noticeable unless you're looking at the profile. Borrowing ideas from some of Curt Fuller's work, I patched the various nail holes with black epoxy, then finished the bowl with black TransTint dye, a few coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish, then liming wax on the inside and outside, but not on the rim. The liming on the outside is more pronounced than on the inside, partly because the inside was sanded and finished twice. The first attempt showed me exactly how much liming wax highlights every sanding flaw in a piece. So I put it in the vacuum chuck and started back with the 80 grit. I eventually removed virtually all the dye from the inside, sanded back through 400 grit, re-dyed, re-finished, and re-waxed. In the process of doing that, I closed up the grain more on the inside than the outside, so it held less of the liming wax than the outside. It's a bit different, but LOML likes it.

Attachment 42186 Attachment 42191Attachment 42188 Attachment 42189 Attachment 42190

I learned some things on this one that I hope to improve on in the future. I've got more ash in the driveway, so I'll probably play around with this idea on a few more pieces.

Comments and critiques are welcome and encouraged, as usual.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I like this piece Vaughn.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

DSM, IA
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I've got more ash in the driveway...
    No one but a woodturner would say this....I love it.

I like the look of the black and lime... I want to try it soon.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Reno NV
    It must be nice to truly be an artist! Just too bad there so much metal in the wood!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    That's one nice bowl. Like Jeff said i'm also gonna have to try it one of these days.Got to get my new lathe first. Maybe by the end of the month.

Palm Springs, Ca
    Never tried the liming wax but i like how it turned out........
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Redford, Michigan
    Very nice, excellent form and the finish is stunning.

Goodland, Kansas
    Really nice bowl. Like the simple form and the finish is great.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Harvey, Michigan
    That's one cool looking bowl Vaughn! Great color contrast! I find I like the inside of the bowl a little better than the outside - just looks a little more refined/finished. I do like the effect of the liming wax! It does get you to thinking about different possibilities!