Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sled Building "Old School"

Sled Building "Old School"

With all the snow we have I think I should have ordered a sled last summer. Here is movie that shows how Ben made one in 1980, and probably like they were made for several decades before that. It starts a little slow but is worth the watch...I think.

http://www.folkstreams.net/film,187

Buys 90 feet of wood for 21 dollars or so...

Garry
    Last edited by Garry Foster; 02-08-2010 at 05:12 AM.

I very much enjoyed that, thanks!

At about the 16 minute mark, his trick of using a saw kerf to guide the drill bit straight is worth filing away for future work!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

That was cool!

Always fun to watch the old tools being utilized.

Here's another that makes me wonder how he has all his fingers still attached. The one shot looks like his fingers are within an inch of the jointer knives and still moving forward.

True, a lot of the things he did would be frowned upon now, but things have changed. At about 15:40 you see him ripping the staves to width, notice how he is using a low fence on the tablesaw, to give his hand more room. If he was using the regular tall fence most of use on our saws, then his hand would really be in a tight spot, not very safe at all. I'd still use a push stick myself

I'd really love to get the one hour show, I notice it can only be ordered in a VHS format.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Great video, Garry. I liked his surface planer. What's that running? 100 rpm or so? And also, that guy was carrying timbers around the shop that I'd probably have a hard time lifting, let alone maneuvering on a bandsaw.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    True, a lot of the things he did would be frowned upon now, but things have changed. At about 15:40 you see him ripping the staves to width, notice how he is using a low fence on the tablesaw, to give his hand more room. If he was using the regular tall fence most of use on our saws, then his hand would really be in a tight spot, not very safe at all. I'd still use a push stick myself

I'd really love to get the one hour show, I notice it can only be ordered in a VHS format.

Cheers!
    Stu
    It's funny but when I watched this video the first time I thought of you. And my thought was "Stu" could do this!

Garry
    Last edited by Garry Foster; 02-08-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Great video, Garry. I liked his surface planer. What's that running? 100 rpm or so? And also, that guy was carrying timbers around the shop that I'd probably have a hard time lifting, let alone maneuvering on a bandsaw.
    I also liked the way he grabbed the wheel on the band saw and gave it a spin to start it.

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    Stu
    It's funny but when I watched this video the first time I thought of you. And my thought was "Stu" could do this!

Garry
    Gary that is quite the compliment, thank you sir
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Cheers!
    Stu I noticed on the original folkstream site there were DVD's available.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    And also, that guy was carrying timbers around the shop that I'd probably have a hard time lifting, let alone maneuvering on a bandsaw.

Vaughn thats exactly what i was thinking. Just how much of a wuss i am compared to these guys. Seeing him plane and handle the runners for that sled boy i felt humiliated just watching the video.

I dunno its amazing how these guys show up our modern ways when you look at us with digital gauges and fancy router tables etc and they got a piece of wood and nail for circle template and a chainsaw.
    Nothing replaces skill Eh! But i bet it aint the first sled he built.

Thanks Gary not only for the video but the site. It cost me a few hours.
    cheers