Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rant of the Day

Rant of the Day

My turn for a rant. Or maybe two.

As some of you may have heard, there were a number of homes in my area that were damaged or destroyed this past weekend in the LA area due to mudslides caused by the latest storm. Here's a video showing some of the damage:

http://www.ktla.com/videobeta/?watch...7-53dc6924a706

Now the rant(s)...

In the video, Mrs. Sclafani (the blonde resident who lost her home) seems to feel the city (or someone) is responsible for the damage to her house. She's downright indignant about the fact that her house was not protected any better than it was. Well, I hate to break the news to her, but when you live in a house on a hill at the edge of the National Forest, stuff happens. Fires. Floods. Mudslides. It comes with the territory. Yes, there are lots of men and women working to keep your house from harm, but there's no guarantee they can prevent it. Deal with it. Get over it. Move on.

I also live in a house on a hill at the edge of the National Forest. But I accept the fact that stuff happens, and if it happens to me, I'll deal with it, get over it, and move on. And when I bought this house, I tried to make sure it wasn't in an obviously high-risk location. In the video, you'll notice houses that are built below the street level. That's seldom an ideal location, but it's especially risky on a hill at the edge of a National Forest.

I get frustrated by the "entitled" people who insist on living in homes built on risky sites, but then they whine like a seized bearing whenever something bad happens to their house. I've heard that some of the residents near the fire zones are looking into suing someone (the state? the Forest Service?) because they feel the responsible parties didn't fight the fire as aggressively as the should have when it first started. Gimme a break. Just because you built on the edge of the National Forest doesn't obligate the state or Forest Service to guarantee you a fire-free life. Bob Stockbroker and Betty Homemaker should leave the fire fighting recommendations to the professionals.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

You buy your ticket and you take your chances.

Your rant is right on the Money Vaughn...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

So, umm, I suppose my pending lawsuit about having too much snow my yard is frivolous in nature? I do love the 'whining like a seized bearing' remark.

When I lived at the Jersey shore I encountered the same 'entitlement mentality' voiced by those who lost multi-million dollar oceanfront homes in storms. Sheesh.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Well said

Yeah, I heard that news report where the mayor of the town wants the Forest Service to pay for the damage to the homes. That was strictly political BS. I don't think anyone expects the Forest Service to pay for anything, but the mayor can say she tried.

Well, I hope it political BS. I'd hate to think anyone really expects the FS to pay for their house. If so, they're living in a fantasy world.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My dad ran a wrecker service for over 20 years. Always bewildered me to watch an idiot that "jumped" his car in a deep ditch filled with stumps cry when we drug it out (this was the '60's and 70's). Yep, more damage sustained coming out cause we couldn't "fly" it out. If they hadn't put it in there, it wouldn't have to come out! Your rant is spot on Vaughn. Everyone wants everyone else to be accountable (except them of course).
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Kinda the same as living in a flood plan and crying when your house is under water.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Kinda the same as living in a flood plan and crying when your house is under water.
    That's one of my hot buttons. We have government subsidized flood insurance which allows people to build in places where they shouldn't be building in the first place. Without the flood insurance they couldn't get a loan on the place.

Given that we have the flood insurance program, I'd only give people one bite of the apple. If their home was flooded and they got paid off by the insurance, they would not be able to participate in the program any more. If they decided to rebuild, it would be totally on their nickel.

I know of places where people have collected multiple times for flooding. Each time they rebuild and it floods again a few years later. Nature's trying to tell them something.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

good rant, why is the\at mentality taking the world over ????
    You make a choice to live there - so take the responsibility of your choice
    Sheesh ! that gets my goat ! grow up and take the hits life deals or just die quietly I say

karl

ps loved - whined like a seized bearing
    You name it, I'll butcher it !