Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Designing and building a mobile shop cart and tool support

Designing and building a mobile shop cart and tool support

I have recently purchased a couple of tools and received a couple more as gifts and I need to find room for all of these in my crowded shop. I am in the early stages of designing a mobile cart where they will be used and decided to record what I actually end up building and using in this thread.

First of all the tools. They are:

Here are some rough drawings that show what I am thinking of building:

Attachment 3808 Attachment 3809

The cart will fit under the Festool Multi-Function Table which means that it can not be very high. The middle of the top surface will be an indentation into which the bases supporting various tools will fit when they are being used. The sander will be stored in the cart itself. The sharpening tools and the router table insert will be stored elsewhere.

That’s as far as I have gotten.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 01-24-2007 at 02:25 AM.
    Cheers, Frank

Anxious to see what you come up with. I have a long wall (<24') that I plan on building a shallow cabinet the full length of it, with an opening in the center that will accept muitiple tools. I have the cyclone ducting already there, and a box bay window to accept the back end of a SCMS so it doesn't stick out into the room very far. The cabinet top will serve as an infeed/outfeed table for the lunchbox planer, and for the SCMS, and hopefully for the RAS, as well as some other tools. So I'm very interested in your cart construction. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Hi Frank,
    I, like Jim look forward to your progress and solutions to the tool and space issues we all seem to have from time to time. Thanks for your thread.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

I got the inspiration for my mobile bases and carts from a past FWW article. It featured guy who built a variety of mobile base cabinets for his 2-car garage/shop. You can probably get some good ideas from it. I've reduced them down to get under the size limit. If they aren't good enough, PM me your email address and I'll send you full size copies.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Armstrong; 01-24-2007 at 08:27 PM.
    If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable!

Jim and Shaz, I hope that I come up with something that meets your expectations. I work better under pressure, so part of the reason I started this thread was to put myself one the spot like this.

Mike, another reason that I started the thread was to get some suggestions. Thanks for yours. I have that issue of Fine Woodworking out in the shop and will look it up tomorrow.
    Cheers, Frank

Frank, I thought you bought a router table also, is that not in the mix with your Triton router?

I'm just about to build myself a flip-top stand for my DW735 planer. Seems like you've got a more complicated plan to put together.

Danny Proulx had a book on shop workstations, and I remember one interesting idea: He had a series of (not too heavy) tools mounted to boards, and they would slide into a tall cabinet for storage. Each mounting board was like a shelf. And he could pull one out and pop it on to a mobile stand for actual use. Seemed like a good idea for smaller 50lb-and-under tools.

My DW735, in contrast, I find too heavy to be muscling it up and down onto shelves, which is why I'm going with the flip-top approach.

(I pulled most of my ideas for the flip top stand from some SMC threads.)

I'll be watching this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Frank, I thought you bought a router table also, is that not in the mix with your Triton router?
    I bought a router table top and fence but not a table, that I am building. And, building it is part of this design.

I'm just about to build myself a flip-top stand for my DW735 planer. Seems like you've got a more complicated plan to put together.
    YEP.

Danny Proulx had a book on shop workstations, and I remember one interesting idea: He had a series of (not too heavy) tools mounted to boards, and they would slide into a tall cabinet for storage. Each mounting board was like a shelf. And he could pull one out and pop it on to a mobile stand for actual use. Seemed like a good idea for smaller 50lb-and-under tools.
    That's basicly what I plan to do. I will browse the book you reference the next time I am at Lee Valley and see if it gives me any ideas.

My DW735, in contrast, I find too heavy to be muscling it up and down onto shelves, which is why I'm going with the flip-top approach.

(I pulled most of my ideas for the flip top stand from some SMC threads.)

I'll be watching this thread.
    I hope that I come up with something that is worth watching.
    Cheers, Frank

I have picked a cart to emulate

After spending more than two hours yesterday at my favourite woodworking library (that is, my local Lee Valley store), I have decided upon a cart that will serve as the basis for mine. The cart that I picked is featured in the 90th Issue of ShopNotes. I assume that it is OK to show a magazine cover without breaking copyright (in fact, it is good advertising), so here that cover is:

Attachment 3872

The ShopNotes cart is very heavy and solid and thatís what I am looking for.
    My cart will have to smaller than theirs in order for it to fit under the Festool MFT; but I think that the plans in the magazine can be easily adapted.
    Cheers, Frank

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Hi Frank,
    Don't know if you have the same problem, but I have a lot of MFT accessories that need a storage place. Your cart might be a good place for that, too.

Lowes had plans for something like this on there website a while back.
    Beauty is only a light switch away!