Thread: Hopeing to brag soon....

Hopeing to brag soon....

I stopped by a friends furniture factory today to talk to him about a job he wants me to do............He wasn't there but while I was talking to one of his workers in the shop I spied a Emmert patternmakers vice in a barrel with a bunch of junk. He wants me to cut the cab off a panel truck and make a gooseneck trailer out of it. There is other work he needs done. I hope he isn't too attached to that vice cause I am going to turn up the bartering talk a notch and see if I can't go home with the vice. The worker stated that it has been sitting in the barrel for several years.....I was planning on getting the Woodcraft clone for my workbench build but to have a piece of history...........I sure hope he ain't to fond of that vice.......

Good Luck Paul, tools with history are always better!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

And here I thought you were going to announce you and your wife were pregnant!!!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    And here I thought you were going to announce you and your wife were pregnant!!!!!
    thats old news jon they have been there so many times it like going to work same ole stuff differnt day:P)
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Children are NOT a vice, Tool collecting might be considered so, but my dear wife has been fine with my collection of tools -she's even threatening to learn to use them. But no, we are NOT expecting another tax deduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    Good Luck Paul, tools with history are always better!
    I have to agree with you Dan... to my regret, when my father died in '89 his wife offered to let me go through his tool shed and take anything there that I wanted... that was before I had any interest in working with wood and I knew that many of his tools were 30-50 years old and well used. I turned down the offer,: and told her to sell them for whatever she could get and keep the money...she'd put up with my dad for over 20 years and that was worth something..
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Don't let people see that you have too much interest in that vise, or someone will pick it before you do.

It has happened to me twice, showing interest in something that has been lying in a corner for years, and as soon as I had shown interest on it, voilą it dissapeared or they asked me an outrageous amount of money.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Vise? I didn't see no vise.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Perhaps you could leave a nice bit of something in the vice's place. Or even talk about the vice you're planning to incorporate into your bench and let it be his idea to let you have that one.