Hopeing to brag soon....

Paul Downes

I stopped by a friends furniture factory today to talk to him about a job he wants me to do............He wasn't there but while I was talking to one of his workers in the shop I spied a Emmert patternmakers vice in a barrel with a bunch of junk. He wants me to cut the cab off a panel truck and make a gooseneck trailer out of it. There is other work he needs done. I hope he isn't too attached to that vice cause I am going to turn up the bartering talk a notch and see if I can't go home with the vice. :D The worker stated that it has been sitting in the barrel for several years.....I was planning on getting the Woodcraft clone for my workbench build but to have a piece of history...........I sure hope he ain't to fond of that vice.......:thumb:

Children are NOT a vice, Tool collecting might be considered so, but my dear wife has been fine with my collection of tools -she's even threatening to learn to use them.:thumb: But no, we are NOT expecting another tax deduction.

Good Luck Paul, tools with history are always better! :thumb:

I have to agree with you Dan... to my regret, when my father died in '89 his wife offered to let me go through his tool shed and take anything there that I wanted... that was before I had any interest in working with wood and I knew that many of his tools were 30-50 years old and well used. I turned down the offer,:(:(::doh::doh: and told her to sell them for whatever she could get and keep the money...she'd put up with my dad for over 20 years and that was worth something..:D

Don't let people see that you have too much interest in that vise, or someone will pick it before you do.

It has happened to me twice, showing interest in something that has been lying in a corner for years, and as soon as I had shown interest on it, voilà it dissapeared or they asked me an outrageous amount of money.

Perhaps you could leave a nice bit of something in the vice's place. :) Or even talk about the vice you're planning to incorporate into your bench and let it be his idea to let you have that one. :thumb: