Thread: Refinish of a vessel

Refinish of a vessel

buffed out a vessel last night and saw alot of marks in the finish which I didnt notice before. The vessel was finished with 3 coats of Danish oil and a couple coats of varnish. I think im going to wipe it down with MS, let dry and with 0000 rub it down good. then start the buffing over again.
    Anyother ideas ?
    Thanks Dan
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Was the finish kind of sticky Dan? I generally let the oil finish dry for a while maybe 3 weeks before I top it with anything if I do put something on top. I found if you don't and the oil is not cured your will get streaks or marks in it. Just been my experience. I generally don't put a finish over any oil finish that already has varnish in it except for straight tung oil or BLO. IMHO just don't think it is needed. I let it cure for 3 weeks or so and then buff the oil finish.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie----you may be right, I only let it sit for a couple weeks and then put the varnish on because i didnt think the grain was filled well enough with just the 3 coats of varnish. I should have just used grain filler or 50/50 laquer and laquer thinner as filler.
    I steel wooled it down tonight and will probably put a satin laquer finish on it - probably several coats - let sit for 3 weeks as a precaution (cold out here right now and im sure will take a bit longer to cure anyway)....then buff or if the coats look good may just leave it........

I have a good amount of mesquite but unless i fill the grain the finish just does not come out looking all that great. So far the best way i have found to finish it is to use the 50/50 mixture and then a few top coats of satin-semi or gloss depending.
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 02-11-2010 at 05:20 AM.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................