Thread: surprise from Japan

surprise from Japan

I had forgotten about it, but a while back, Stu asked for my mailing address.
    Surprise, yesterday, this package came to the house from Japan.
    Inside, and very well packed, were these nine pen blanks. Five are Red Keyaki, some labeled "Shrine wood" and four Blue Keyaki. Us turners, pen guys especially, love unusual woods.
    I do thank you, Stu. These will be used and enjoyed. Just let me know what you would like to have that is available in the U.S. but not Japan. If I can, I'll send you some. Doesn't have to be pen blanks.
    Thinking back, I have been fortunate to be involved in some very nice overseas trades. Have sent and received woods from various parts of Europe, Australia, our distant State of Hawaii, South America and places forgotten.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Japanese pen blanks.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

You are very welcome Frank!

I know you do a lot for people around you, so I'm just paying you back a bit

The Shrinewood blanks, which are Red Keyaki or Zelkova, a kind of Elm, are from the grounds of the local Shinto Shrine in my area, just a little bit of interesting information to add to the mix when you make that special pen for someone. Most of the trees I got wood from are quite old and the priest at the shrine figures the predate WWII, so that is surely some interesting wood.

You can see a little photographic tour I did of the shrine >> HERE <<
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Congrats Frank. That wood makes some very nice pens. Stu is very generous. Stu I still have the pen I made from the Red Keyaki wood you sent me 3 yrs ago. Still carry it everyday. My son still carries his that I made him out of the Blue Keyaki. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 02-10-2010 at 05:48 PM.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Most of the trees I got wood from are quite old and the priest at the shrine figures the predate WWII, so that is surely some interesting wood.

You can see a little photographic tour I did of the shrine >> HERE <<
    Wow Stu, whenever I picture trees in Japan, I almost always think of the Bonsai... I guess they're not all tiny sitting in a flower pot...
    Some really great shots you have there.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Wow Stu, whenever I picture trees in Japan, I almost always think of the Bonsai... I guess they're not all tiny sitting in a flower pot...
    Some really great shots you have there.
    Actually Chuck, in Tokyo, there are very few large, old trees, most of Tokyo either burned during the fire bombings, was bombed during regular bombings, or the residents hacked down what few trees were left for wood.

Makes you think
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward