Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compressed air distribution kit--any good?

Compressed air distribution kit--any good?

I found this on page 91 of Harbor Freight catalog 169-B. It is to be used in place of copper or black pipe when installing compressed air in the garage (shop to me). Do you have knowledge of this or similar systems? The Harbor Freight link is:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66747
    Last edited by Ron Jones; 02-11-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: link
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

This link seems to be not working Ron.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Thanks Rennie and Don--link repaired.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Ron if you are just wanting to have air to blow stuff off around the shop it will work BUT if you want to run any air sanders or pin nailers or spray guns it will not give you enough volume of air to work. You will regret it if thats what you want to do.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Jay's right. The 3/8" tubing would be a limiting factor for running a variety of air tools. Plus, I'm not sure if there's enough hardware to set up one or more moisture traps, which are pretty common on long runs of air piping. Another potential problem would be getting additional fittings. Do you know if they sell individual fittings, for the case where you really need one or two more parts, and don't want to buy another $99 kit?

Also, I have no experience with this particular package of hardware, but based on past experience, I'm kind of leery of Harbor Freight air fittings and accessories. I've had two or three of their filter/dryers crack and develop leaks, and their quick disconnect fittings can be hit or miss sometimes, too. They often leak unless you wiggle them around a bit. After seeing a 6 foot length of 3/4" flex hose come loose and do the 135 psi snake dance in my shop, I'm real cautious about my air fittings now.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Depends on what you are going to use it for and what type of compressor you have, If its just to blow off dust or run a few nailers it will work just fine. More than adequate. I don't run any air sanders or drills. Just finish nailers, brad guns, a pinner and a stick nailer. My wood shop compressor is a 1.5 hp emglo with 2 two gallon tanks. Not very big at all. It runs the tools without any problem whatsoever. I have a larger emglo compressor in my garage. 1.5 hp with twin 4 gallon tanks. I have this one bumped up to 160 psi with a 5 pound differential. It runs my air wrenches just fine. I have a hose set up in my basement very similar to the one you show. I have 3 fixed stations with 15' drop down flex hoses for the tools and it works perfectly.
    As far as the moisture goes, I just keep the petcock on the tanks on the compressor slightly cracked and it keeps the moisture out of the lines. I do however use only 3/8" fittings on the 3/8" hose and fittings. I find 1/4" fittings can cause too much "stair stepping" of the nails when using the stick nailer on a long fast run.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Here is some more info on that type of system from harbor freight.http://www.rapidairproducts.com/Looks like the same system but about $40 cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Jay's right. The 3/8" tubing would be a limiting factor for running a variety of air tools. Plus, I'm not sure if there's enough hardware to set up one or more moisture traps, which are pretty common on long runs of air piping. Another potential problem would be getting additional fittings. Do you know if they sell individual fittings, for the case where you really need one or two more parts, and don't want to buy another $99 kit?

Also, I have no experience with this particular package of hardware, but based on past experience, I'm kind of leery of Harbor Freight air fittings and accessories. I've had two or three of their filter/dryers crack and develop leaks, and their quick disconnect fittings can be hit or miss sometimes, too. They often leak unless you wiggle them around a bit. After seeing a 6 foot length of 3/4" flex hose come loose and do the 135 psi snake dance in my shop, I'm real cautious about my air fittings now.
    Is this different than using 'regular' 3/8" hose? I'm doing some remodel work now with a framing nailer and 125' (two lengths) of what I think is 3/8" hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    ...The 3/8" tubing would be a limiting factor for running a variety of air tools...
    Gimme a physics lesson here.

You say a 3/8" line isn't bige enough to carry the air, but then you'll use a quick-disconnect fitting that has a hole in it that's only about 3/16" (about ¼ the capacity of 3/8) on the end of it.

So, what's the limiting factor?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!