Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Palm Routers, here's what I brought home!

Palm Routers, here's what I brought home!

I bought the Beall wood threading kit and it came in yesterday so of course am playing with it today!! I see a great need for a router with a micro adjustment on it. So have narrowed it down to a pair of routers as it will probably stay on the wood threading jig. Here they are:

A Bosch 1 HP Colt Palm Router
    http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...1&cmRelshp=sim

A DeWalt 5 Amp Fixed Heavy-Duty Compact Router
    http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...1&cmRelshp=sim

So, if I read correctly, both have the micro adjustment on them. (even though the DeWalt is a fixed base?)
    So how does the 1 HP rating compare to the 5 Amp rating? I just don't know how to finish the comparison and decide. I guess I am leaning towards the Bosch. Anyone have any suggestions? They are to closely priced to worry about that.
    Last edited by Jonathan Shively; 02-13-2010 at 03:05 AM.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Jonathan,
    A 1 Hp motor draws aproximatly 10 ampsat 110 V depending on the effency. so the 5 amp would be about 1/2 Hp.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Based on Mfr spec sheets, they both utilize 5.6A motors. The Bosch does offer variable speed. Otherwise, I'd suspect it's a wash between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Warfield View Post
    Based on Mfr spec sheets, they both utilize 5.6A motors. The Bosch does offer variable speed. Otherwise, I'd suspect it's a wash between the two.
    Based on that then they lie about the colt being 1 HP. But thats normal...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

pat warner has a good review of the bosch colt jonathan,, i have one and like it, also have PC310 which is better but not available easily now..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Based on that then they lie about the colt being 1 HP. But thats normal...
    Universal motors are rated at stall and not at normal operating speed. Induction motors are rated at normal operating speed.

If you were to look at the current draw at stall, it would reflect the HP rating.

I agree it's BS but all universal motors are rated that way, which is why it's better to look at the rated current at rated RPM to compare tools. If you asked DeWalt for the HP of their tool, it would be 1HP also (probably).

That said, I have the Bosch colt and it's a good router.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Universal motors are rated at stall and not at normal operating speed. Induction motors are rated at normal operating speed.

If you were to look at the current draw at stall, it would reflect the HP rating.

I agree it's BS but all universal motors are rated that way, which is why it's better to look at the rated current at rated RPM to compare tools. If you asked DeWalt for the HP of their tool, it would be 1HP also (probably).

That said, I have the Bosch colt and it's a good router.

Mike
    Your darn right it's BS. Basic Physics tells you. 1 HP=746 watts 746 watts /110 volts =6.8 amps. If the motor were 100% eff it would have to draw that many amps. and Universal motors are not very eff.

Last edited by John Bartley; 11-30-2010 at 10:49 PM.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    The DeWalt is simply a yellow version of the Porter-Cable 7310. The motors, bases and adjustments are the same (same parts). Just the trim and cord placement is changed.

I use both at work. I have a flush cutting, bottom bearing bit in the PC, and a 15 degree, bottom bearing bevel cutter in the Bosch. They both work well. My observation after two years and thousands of feet (maybe hundreds of miles even) of laminate trimming is that the PC (DeWalt) is smoother (less vibration) and easier to adjust. It also seems more rugged. I personally bought the PC when I wanted one for myself.

cheers

John
    When i worked for midwest, we had mostly pc's.did have a few colts but no one wanted to use them enless they had to.I guess that's the reason i got the dewalt. it (to me)seemed like a better router. I also have the royobi trim router, and for what i payed it's a nice little toy.

I have had the Colt for a couple years or so and am very happy with it. I did get the Pat Warner bases for it but have yet to put the round one on. The offset base meets all my needs. Your needs with the Beall may be different.

The variable speed has come it quite handy but again, if your dedicating this router to the Beall and the bits are made to run at the speed of the router, perhaps VS is not important. I would be loath to give it up but, I use my Colt for all sorts of things. I have come to totally disregard the micro-adjust. It works smoother than the DeWalt I tried but, it is still easier to adjust without it IMHO.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-12-2010 at 03:52 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke