Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt table saw?

Dewalt table saw?

Currently I'm using an old portable TS of my dads that is kind of like this. It has no stand, the fence has a bend in the back that goes toward the blade and it does not clamp tightly (likes to move while I'm pushing a board through) I'm getting $300 in gift cards to Lowes from my bank from 5 years of racking up points and I thought I might use it on getting a new TS. Dewalt DW744X is about the highest I could afford. I don’t do a lot of woodworking so right now I don’t think I need / can afford the really nice TS's. Anyone have an opinion on this Dewalt? The one I seen in the store looked nice but I thought it was odd that the tabletop was textured and not flat. Also I picked this over the one that’s 100$ less because its listed as not being able to have a dado and the right side cut is 16” in instead of 24.5”

Thanks

And Oh btw Hi all , been gone a long time... I'll fill you all in some time as to why I havent been on.
    Focusing your life on only one path does nothing but close your mind to the infinite possibilities that surround us.

Think out side the box for the box is small, cold, dark, and doesn’t have cookies.

Hi Chris,

If portability isn't a big concern, I'd recommend taking that $200 difference between the gift card and the purchase price and buying a decent used saw. Then, use the $300 gift card to buy a couple of good blades and a dado set and have some left over.

If you get a used contractor saw, there'll be opportunity to upgrade the fence and miter gauge at a later time if necessary. I don't think the DeWalt will let you upgrade.

The DeWalt is a good saw. It's just not the only way to look at getting what you need/want.

Well Chris take a look at the 6,7, and 8th pic in this thread http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=17570
    I will take that saw over any contractor saw going. ok well maybe not any the jet or PM might be better.
    Did I tell ya that the pile on top is all hardwood and by the time I was done there is over 2645.33 lineal feet of ripping just for this project.
    I have had this saw going on 5 years. It gets duties like this on a regular bases. This spring I had to replace the field and armature. To the tune of 128 bucks.
    Not bad I thought for a saw that I would think nothing of putting green hemlock 2x through all day.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 02-11-2010 at 11:48 PM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

That DeWalt served me well for a number of years, but it is no cabinet saw.

My biggest complaint with is was there as a dip in the middle of the table, and as I had it shipped to Japan, there as not way to return it, when you buy one, get a straight edge, if the table top is flat, then you are good to go, it is a good saw and will do a LOT of work for you.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Good to see you back, Chris. I wondered where you'd gone off to.

A jobsite saw like that can have some limitations as far as aftermarket upgrades and shop-made additions, but as Chuck has proven, they can still produce a lot of good work. And some of those limitations (like a small table or insufficient dust collection) can be overcome later by building it into a larger cabinet. I've seen a number of conversions along those lines.

When I upgraded from a saw similar to your dad's, I went with a good contractor's saw. (Chuck, I'll put my Ridgid up against your DeWalt any day of the week. ) That's what fit my needs, budget and space. I'd probably do the same today. But if the DeWalt fits your needs, budget and space, it'd still be a nice upgrade from what you're using now. Safer, too, from your description of that fence.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    (Chuck, I'll put my Ridgid up against your DeWalt any day of the week. ) That's what fit my needs, budget and space. I'd probably do the same today.
    I'll see your Rigid and Raise you 1 Jet CS
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I'll see your Rigid and Raise you 1 Jet CS
    I've seen the Jet. I'll keep the Ridgid. They're both good saws, but when I got mine, it was a few hundred bucks less expensive than the Jet, and it had more features. (Machined pulleys, flat ribbed belt, cast iron extension wings, good built-in mobile base, etc.) Especially now that I have the Incra fence on it, it'll hold me over fine until I move up to a cabinet saw.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Fine Woodworking had a portable table saw shootout in the December shops issue. The choices in their order were Bosch, Ridgid and Dewalt.

The Bosch was described as the most powerful and best accessories.

The Ridgid was second due to price and features.

The Dewalt only lost out because the fence didn't allow jigs to slide over it.

Overall they described these saws, disregarding the small table sizes, as having the power and accuracy to produce good work.

I have seen some nice cabinets built where a portable table saw just drops in.

Congrats on your employer giving you a bonus.

Cheers,
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Vaughn your Ridged may be a good saw ............But the last one I was around was Gary's hand me down from yet another contractor friend and it was all used up. While they may be fine in the shop they don't seem to take being on the job site. But than again job sites are hard on tools.
    So with that in mind Chris get the new one or a used one out of some guys home shop. Contractors sell tools for one reason.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 02-12-2010 at 02:35 PM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Chris,

I'm certain that people get great deals all the time buying used tools. I'm just not one of them. I simply don't know enough about tools to make an educated buying decision. I'd likely look at something and say "OOOOO... shiny!" and take it home and regret it for years.

So I've always bought new, and I've always asked myself a series of questions. What, exactly, am I paying for? What am I trying to do? What will I think of this tool two or three years down the road? What's the upgrade path, and where does it stop?

I started with something very like that Skil you linked to, and got rid of it for exactly the same reasons, so I can sympathize with your decision. The thing durn near killed me, a number of times. Yes, a good woodworker could turn out quality work even on one of those, but I'm nowhere near that good.

So then I'm asking 'what is it, exactly, that you're paying for?' Every saw is a compromise. To put it in another context, I prefer desktop computers to laptops. Why? Because to get the same functionality, a laptop costs about thirty percent more. Some people value the portability enough to make the compromise, and pay the extra or have the thirty percent less featured machine. It all depends on what *you* value.

So that's my first question. Do you *need* the portability? Are you willing to pay for that feature, even if it means, say, a smaller top, or fewer inches to the right of the blade? If you do need to move it to a jobsite, that's likely a great choice. But if it's just going to sit in your shop, you're paying for a feature you won't be using.

If it *is* just going to sit in your shop, you can get a ridgid ts3650 for about the same price, or a grizzly, or even one of these: http://grizzly.com/products/SHOP-FOX...ble-Saw/T21853 . I don't know if your gift cards will work in that scenario, and others will be able to tell you about similar saws better than I could.

I'm not trying to push you in any direction, for or against anything. I'm just saying you should ask yourself these questions before you spend such a large amount of money, as you'll be living with your decision for quite a while!

Thanks,

Bill