what am i doing WROUNG????

larry merlau

i just got done sprayun some sealer two coats allwas good switched to the top coat of lacquer, the darn stuff wont spray.... and this is being nice... i have thinnned it to 20% taken and dumped it out and sprayed straight thinner 3 times.. tried again and it wont spray the stuff.. got max air on played witht he fan control and if i go max open i can get ti to spray there for a bit thaen that quits,, tried the flid control form one extreme to the other.. i have had it for tonight,, so if some fairy or angle out there can figure out what the i am doing wrong speak up and i will chk on it in the am..:(:(:(:(

ok chuck was first,, i used thinner and sprayed it threw it a cup full..and this was delema happened right after the sealer was sprayed from the same gun chuck.. and alan the gun is gravitry feed.. i can spray thinner threw it all day long???

Got to be a blockage small enough to allow the thinner but big enough to restrict the flow of lacquer. Maybe a dried piece came loose and is blocking the opening to the needle?

well what efver it was its fixed now:) between chucks info on the phone and the info here i am back to a level headed smiley face again:) just couldnt wrap my head around the fact that it worked 30 mins ago just fine and now it wont.. that was last night after a long day at the day job with many unfriendly happenings.. today is brighter now and i can go on with my slef again:) thanks again for the support and chuck the shoulder to complain to:wave:

Glad you fixed it. Another possibility could have been that the reservoir lid or the air intake hole if a bottom reservoir is used could be almost or completely blocked, allowing only a tiny air quantity to get in enough to spray thinner but not lacker du to its density. To let paint out, air must go in.

A workmate gave me a chain saw out of desperation because he could not start it. I took it home, when I checked the tank for fuel the cap made a tipycal suction noise, left the cap loose, pulled the rope and I got a perfect functioning chainsaw :)

Larry I bet you wounder how I know what you did LOL MY son just cleaned a gun that was used for acrylic lacquer in a kitchen and then ran it through the lacquer thinner. He said Dad the gun will not spray. Told him to take it apart and clean all the acrylic out of the gun all the parts need cleaning. :rofl::rofl:

Ok I must be having a moment i feel real stupid but can someone fill me in one what actually went wrong and what goes wrong when you spray acrylic.

I aint ever used a spray gun but very willing to learn by reading what you guys are on about.:huh:

So Larry spill the beans please for a dunny like me.?:wave::)

Ok I must be having a moment i feel real stupid but can someone fill me in one what actually went wrong and what goes wrong when you spray acrylic.

I aint ever used a spray gun but very willing to learn by reading what you guys are on about.:huh:

So Larry spill the beans please for a dunny like me.?:wave::)

me too... :lurk:

well i aint got the xperience like dave, has but i can mess up like he does or has:) the acrylic stuff is used for the sealer coat to sand easier and gives some moisture resitance..the sealer will dry like the lacquer and the sanding makes a white powder, easier to fill the pores and get a flatter finish.. then the lacquer thinner didnt get all the soapy stuff out, in the sealer you need to stir in the solids which when dry is kinda like soap.. well thick soap doesnt spray when dry.. and the nozzel had a speck stuck somewhere,, and on full blast i could get the lacquer thinner out but when i adjusted it to the spray setting no way.,. so cleaned the gun and thinned the lacquer some more and all was good again.. the sealer drys fast and doesnt thin like the regular lacquer..far as cleaning out the gun goes.. bottom line clean gun after sprayun sealer before tryun anything else:rolleyes::rolleyes::thumb:

Thanks for the answers Larry and Dave. Now I know why i aint got to the stage of finishing well. I still got tons to learn.

Dave one more question though. From what Larry is saying about this sealer, it would appear it drys in the spray gun fast. So how would you benefit from a dedicated gun unless you have a bunch of production to keep sealer running through it.

Am i right to presume you still would be cleaning the gun regularly, the only benefit to having a seperate one is the cross contamination?:dunno:

Little bit like grinding mild steel and stainless steel welds with the same grinding disc.:doh:

first off rob,, i wasnt using acrylic like dave thought i had a sealer that had some acylic in it i think according to what i was told.. anyway that cleans with water the real acrylic stuff,, this stuff drys in the gun if air gets to it,, but the solids settle out and that is where i had the trouble the solids didnt get pushed out as good as they should have ,, basically i missed a step or didnt do it well enough:)