Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: design for nephew's coffee table

design for nephew's coffee table

this is the idea i came up with for my nephew's coffee table. it's for the boss of the referees (my nephew is a ref). he wanted something to display all the logos of the teams they ref for, including a few that are no longer around this year. worked out to 24 pucks. the fun part was figuring out how to display them, and have the table be bigger than an end table. well, this is what i came up with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nephew coffee table.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Nice. I like the hockey stick stretcher. Clever!

Looks cool. Would there be glass over the pucks?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

in keeping with the hockey theme, it would not be glass, rather it would be plexiglass (the clear parts at the tops of the boards are plexiglass larry).
    benedictione omnes bene

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    in keeping with the hockey theme, it would not be glass, rather it would be plexiglass (the clear parts at the tops of the boards are plexiglass larry).
    My only concern with Plexiglass would be scratches. I know it'd be heck for stout, but I'd be afraid of what would happen the first time a ceramic coffee mug with an unglazed bottom was slid across the top.

On the other hand, my granddad made a coffee table years ago that was a bunch of rock slab slices embedded in resin. After he died, my parents used that table (as their main table between their two recliners) for another 20 years or more, and last I saw, it still was looking pretty decent.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Are you going to use a real hockey stick?
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Defently like the hockey stick stretcher idea also I would add a second one going the other way but thats just cause I'm a libra and have to have symmetry can't wait to see the finished product
    Focusing your life on only one path does nothing but close your mind to the infinite possibilities that surround us.

Think out side the box for the box is small, cold, dark, and doesn’t have cookies.

The hockey stick stretcher is a real winner idea, as some others have stated, my only concern would be if more empty spaces are needed for more pucks or the collection is complete?

What about incorporating skates or skate blades in some way? No need to, because I like it as it is now, but maybe you would try to explore further
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

vaughn, the displays are going to be recessed just enough so that it will be almost a subliminal message to set any cups on the wood framework.

dave, i would have loved to use a real hockey stick, but they would have been too long for the table. most sticks around here are aluminium handles with fiberglass blades, and i wanted it to be a structural part of the idea as well.

chris, i was giving that some thought too, but just not enough room the narrow way.

toni, the collection is complete. right after finding out the size of a standard hockey puck, i asked my nephew how many there would be, explaining that the number of pucks influenced the size of the table. 24 is it. i didn't think about skates, but i did have an evil thought or two about adding the rink lines to it, but couldn't find any blue wood, purple heart just wouldn't do it...
    benedictione omnes bene

Hey Dan.
    Just an afterthought, what about mimicking the lines of the ice ring on the top instead those squares and place the pucks as if they were players? I have no idea of how many players are on a team but it just flashed my mind.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...