Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving forward,, idea

Giving forward,, idea

i was reading a post by one of our members and saw something that caught my interest, so pm'd him and asked my question and got more than expected... but during the conversation came up with this idea... this person is making urns and caskets for a organization that gives them to the needy parents of little ones that have past to soon.. the organization is PRECIOUS ANGELS and they have two websites the first one i have is the old one and it still works but the new one has been updated and has brochure in it that can be downloaded..
    the links are:
    www.precious-angels.org old one
    www.preciousangels1.net new one
    i have called her and asked what? we the forum could possibly do to help. and her response was first she is desperate need of urns ,and then her second thought which i had asked her about was to get some more chapters threw out the states.. right now hers is in iowa..the urns are small and look to be something that any of us on here could make, and the caskets are a little more work but not bad..she has also asked that if she could get another lady or two to do some of the sewing it would help i think she is doing this on her own..the urns are small 3.5"square with a 3" hieght according to here but if you have more questions and have a desire to do this to help her just call the number on the web page..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_URN.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	42344

the caskets are made so the lid sets over the box so that she can do her sewing.. and like she said, is looking for ladies willing to help out in that as well.. she has some funeral homes she is dealing with on this but most of her calls come from the hospitals..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_casket.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	42345

so if this is something that you can see your slef contributing to, giver her a call and show her why we are the family woodworking site thanks for listening.. pm me if you would like the name of the person who is doing this now,, i am sure they would be glad to help out in some of the questions.. if they dont want there name given out let me Know in pm..
    Last edited by larry merlau; 02-12-2010 at 07:57 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Wow I'm tearing up and that doesnt happen, must be the whole new dad thing I dont think I can help atm , but I'm defently going to look into what I can do in the future. I'm not a lady but I've been known to run some fabric through a sewing machine before and even done some needlepoint/cross stitch

thanks for the heads up about this
    Last edited by Chris Marlor; 02-12-2010 at 05:20 PM.
    Focusing your life on only one path does nothing but close your mind to the infinite possibilities that surround us.

Think out side the box for the box is small, cold, dark, and doesn’t have cookies.

Thanks for the post Larry. They're not too far away from me and I'll help out too.

Hi Larry. I can't access the links, are they working or is it my PC?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Hi Larry. I can't access the links, are they working or is it my PC?
    they are really links as you are thinking,, type in the letter as i posted and not the dashes and the old one or the new one parts.. fixed them toni

Thanks a lot Larry now they work, dumb of me I should have noticed instead of just clicking on them
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

here's an idea. i left the edges of the top and bottom undone, so that individuals can do the edges their own way. the top and bottom are shaved down to 5/8" around a roughly 2" center on each, eases location of center, and screw holes for the bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails urn.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Thanks dan for making adrawing but we need to make sure this lady approves of this before we go making some,, dont know if there are regs or not on these..so get in touch with vickie on this to find out.. the bottoms were srewed on she told me and the tops were glued shut.. thanks again for the interest here and i am sure she will appreciate your help on this..

did that before i did up the drawings, top is glued on, and the bottom is secured with screws.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I'm in. Get me an approved workable print and I can start knocking some of these out.