Giving forward,, idea

larry merlau

i was reading a post by one of our members and saw something that caught my interest, so pm'd him and asked my question and got more than expected... but during the conversation came up with this idea... this person is making urns and caskets for a organization that gives them to the needy parents of little ones that have past to soon.. the organization is PRECIOUS ANGELS and they have two websites the first one i have is the old one and it still works but the new one has been updated and has brochure in it that can be downloaded..
the links are:
www.precious-angels.org old one
www.preciousangels1.net new one
i have called her and asked what? we the forum could possibly do to help. and her response was first she is desperate need of urns ,and then her second thought which i had asked her about was to get some more chapters threw out the states.. right now hers is in iowa..the urns are small and look to be something that any of us on here could make, and the caskets are a little more work but not bad..she has also asked that if she could get another lady or two to do some of the sewing it would help i think she is doing this on her own..the urns are small 3.5"square with a 3" hieght according to here but if you have more questions and have a desire to do this to help her just call the number on the web page..
tn_URN.jpg

the caskets are made so the lid sets over the box so that she can do her sewing.. and like she said, is looking for ladies willing to help out in that as well.. she has some funeral homes she is dealing with on this but most of her calls come from the hospitals..
tn_casket.jpg

so if this is something that you can see your slef contributing to, giver her a call and show her why we are the family woodworking site:):D:thumb::thumb: thanks for listening.. pm me if you would like the name of the person who is doing this now,, i am sure they would be glad to help out in some of the questions.. if they dont want there name given out let me Know in pm..:)

Last edited:
Wow I'm tearing up and that doesnt happen, must be the whole new dad thing :huh: I dont think I can help atm :( , but I'm defently going to look into what I can do in the future. I'm not a lady but I've been known to run some fabric through a sewing machine before and even done some needlepoint/cross stitch :eek:

thanks for the heads up about this

Last edited:
here's an idea. i left the edges of the top and bottom undone, so that individuals can do the edges their own way. the top and bottom are shaved down to 5/8" around a roughly 2" center on each, eases location of center, and screw holes for the bottom.

Attachments

• urn.jpg
    urn.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 70
Thanks dan for making adrawing but we need to make sure this lady approves of this before we go making some,, dont know if there are regs or not on these..so get in touch with vickie on this to find out.. the bottoms were srewed on she told me and the tops were glued shut.. thanks again for the interest here and i am sure she will appreciate your help on this..

I have the drawing for the 2 smaller sizes of caskets. I am not home right now so it will be a time before I can get to them. I also have limited internet. I am down to my folks staying with my mom while my dad is in the hospital. He may be home today. Thank you all to the response of this need.

Well I'm back but at work so cannot get the plans yet. I was wondering if the urns could be a spinny thing also. Not saying that the turners need to get involved but if they would want to this may be a way.
I spoke with the lady and she said round is fine. She said that they should be no more then 3 1/2" tall and no more then 3" dia. The top should be sealed and acess to the bottom that can be screwed on.

when i talked to the lady ,,originally after gettin the link from Rex,, she stressed the fact that she needs help sewing the liners for the caskets as well so if any of the ladies out here would like to get ahold of her to see if they could help her out in this, feel free to do so. they are quite simple to make according to her, but talk with her on what she is looking for and how to help .. i am sure she would very greatful.. thanks for all the response to this and her cause..:D:thumb::thumb:

Larry, I have a couple of ladies in my congregation that are into sewing. I'll ask next Sunday if they are interested.

These are infant casket liners?