Thread: I think I'm getting a little better at this bowl thing....

I think I'm getting a little better at this bowl thing....

first is another spalted maple.. it's about 11 1/2 diameter x 3 1/2 deep.. I think the walls are a little thicker than some of what you guys do.. maybe a hair over 1/4 inch... finished with sanding sealer and wipe on poly.

The little bowl is a piece of spalted poplar...its about 5 in. diameter x 1 1/2 deep and has a tiny little foot of about 1/8 inch. It's also finished with sanding sealer and wipe on poly.

The last one is cherry from a board I got a couple years ago from a guy who used the boards to make gun stocks for flint lock rifles... this was "scrap" about 9" wide x 2" thick and originally about 4 or 5 feet long... I see a little sanding mark in this one that I'm not happy with... may hang on to it and try to get is sanded better latter on... it's about 8 1/2 x 1 1/2 and finished with Danish oil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10-919.JPG   10-920-4.JPG   10-920-5.JPG   10-929-4.JPG  
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    nice bowls Chuck. I do like that spalted maple the best but i've a feeling you do to.
    Steve

Yep, I'd say you're getting the hang of things quite nicely. I really like the spalted maple, but all three look good. And I can relate to the bit about finding sanding or tooling marks when you take the photos. It's happened a few times to me, too. I just suck it up and take it back to the shop a re-do it best I can.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Nice looking bowls. Really like the splated bowl.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice work, some good shapes there as well. Bowls don't have to be thin and personally if they are for use, thin can be a problem. A nice solid bowl is better for fruit etc IMHO so apart from having a go I wouldn't strive to make them thin.

Pete

Chuck, those are very nice bowls. I hate it when I get one finished and then notice a tool mark or sanding mark. My wife thinks I am too picky but I want every bowl to be really nice. Your bowls are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Bower View Post
    Chuck, those are very nice bowls. I hate it when I get one finished and then notice a tool mark or sanding mark. My wife thinks I am too picky but I want every bowl to be really nice. Your bowls are great.
    My wife is just the opposite... she picks up every one of them...
    I should get her out to the shop to look at the pieces before I take them off the lathe, might not have the problem...
    or I could wear my glasses when I work
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    nice bowls Chuck. I do like that spalted maple the best but i've a feeling you do to.
    Steve

Thanks guys for all the positive comments... makes us feel good when our colleagues give us encouragement - right?

I have a nice pile of the spalted, if the weather lets up a little so I can get to the wood pile... can't chainsaw in the rain and my toes get cold in the snow... I have to get the rest of it cut up into blanks...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN