completely useless computer information

Frank Fusco

This borrowed from a discussion on Yahoo.
This should work in any Windows word processor, text editor, browser or email client.

1. Make sure your keyboard is in NumLock mode.
2. Hold down the ALT key and enter the number on the numeric keypad. (Note that many laptops have a blue FN key that changes a set of keys, also with blue numbers on them and usually in the 7-8-9-U-I-O area, into a numeric keypad.)

for ☺ 1
for ☻ 2
for ♥ 3 <===
for ♦ 4
for ♣ 5
for ♠ 6
for • 7
for ◘ 8
for ○ 9
for ◙ 10
for ♂ 11
for ♀ 12
for ♪ 13
for ♫ 14
for ☼ 15
for ► 16
for ◄ 17
for ↕ 18
for ‼ 19
for ¶ 20
for § 21
for ▬ 22
for ↨ 23
for ↑ 24
for ↓ 25
for → 26
for ← 27
for ∟ 28
for ↔ 29
for ▲ 30
for ▼ 31

Today, or tomorrow ♥, you may want to use the numlock/alt/3 thing. Do use the keypad, not the top row numbers. And, the character does not appear until you release the key. Can be kinda confusing for a fast typer.

Well Frank, I have to disagree with you in this, although rarely used, those symbols are used by someone and that is the only way they found to enter them without a specific keyboard.

I have the need from time to time to enter the diameter symbol by hand when editing measuring lines in cad drawings, and I use a key combination similar to those, for instance to insert the copyright symbol you use ALT+184 and there you have it. ©

Oh, now this post is copyrigthed!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Can be kinda confusing for a fast typer.

Well I certainly don't have to worry about being confused..:rofl::rofl:

Well Frank, I have to disagree with you in this, although rarely used, those symbols are used by someone and that is the only way they found to enter them without a specific keyboard.

I have the need from time to time to enter the diameter symbol by hand when editing measuring lines in cad drawings, and I use a key combination similar to those, for instance to insert the copyright symbol you use ALT+184 and there you have it. ©

Opps I guess I shouldn't have done this..:rofl::rofl:

Gee Whiz, just trying to be a little foolish and waste time while waiting for someone on an otherwise boring day. :eek:;)
BTW, how many would often have need for 11 or 12? :rolleyes:

Gee Whiz, just trying to be a little foolish and waste time while waiting for someone on an otherwise boring day. :eek:;)
BTW, how many would often have need for 11 or 12? :rolleyes:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Just seen it on a an ad about a lost dog that someone found.

It said something like:

Found a ♂ golden retriever in the surroundings of xxxx wears a red collar with a plaque that reads Thunder. and so forth.

Maybe it is not often used, specially if one doesn't know about it, but I'm pretty sure you must have seen it more times than you think.:rofl::rofl:

Actually, the three digit Alt codes only work with certain fonts. The four digit codes work with many more.

Alt-0162 = ¢
Alt-0163 = £
Alt-0165 = ¥
Alt-0167 = §
Alt-0169 = ©
Alt-0174 = ®
Alt-0176 - °
Alt-0177 = ±
Alt-0178 = ²
Alt-0179 = ³
Alt-0181 = µ
Alt-0182 = ¶
Alt-0188 = ¼
Alt-0189 = ½
Alt-0190 = ¾
Alt-0247 = ÷
Alt-0233 = é
Alt-0241 = ñ

I've been using these for years. They're 'officially' referred to a "Extended ASCII Codes."

Actually I use the ALT keys quite often for various projects. I made a a strip chart that is on the side of my computer with the ALT-Key stroke.
ALT.Keys.jpg

It's handy, In windows If you go to the Start Button/Programs/accessories/System Tools/Character Map you'll find all the characters that are available in each font.