Atlas Lathe? - It's in the shop!

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
In today's paper, there an Atlas lathe for sale. Guy says it's a 12 X 36, with cast iron ways, on a metal stand. That's about all he knows about it.

Can anyone tell me anything more?

I may be going to look at it tomorrow.

No, Larry, I'm not deserting the 'cause,' but I do have need of something to turn table legs on.

Larry is correct. Old metal with a large flywheel, but very popular. Was made for and sold by Sears in most cases. Any tooling/gears included?

I think there is a company that still sells parts for them. Many times the lead screw's mount is broke on the tail end from someone running the carriage down to far, but it's an easy fix with the new part.

Not all were metal lathes. They also made wood lathes:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlaswood/index.html

Depending on the price, it could be a good basic spindle lathe. Built like tools used to be built. Thick and heavy. The thread on the spindle might be a little unusual these days, but you should still be able to work with it.

If you check it out Jim, look for obvious slack or play in the spindle bearings, smooth operation of the tailstock quill, and any cracks in the cast iron. Beyond that, most everything else can be fixed or replaced. ;)

jim i believe its a small metal lathe,, sweet machines for small metal work.. built like a brick house..

No, it's a wood lathe. I used to have a little 6" QAtlas metal lathe - traded it for the 9" South Bend that I have now.

This one is definitely only a WOOD lathe. Over at OWWM, I found references - and a manual - for an Atlas Model 7122 Wood Lathe that pretty much fits the description. Kinda looks like a 1960's Delta lathe.

Looked at the lathe this morning, and didn't see where I could go too far wrong. Cast iron bed, ball bearings, and everything is tight - no play in the headstock. #2 Morse tapers in Head & tail stocks. Has an indexer on the headstock. $125.00 brought it home.

Now, can ayone tell me where to get a 1 inch by 10 TPI adapter for my Nova chuck?

Attachments

• DSCN0626 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0626 (Medium).JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCN0627 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0627 (Medium).JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN0631 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0631 (Medium).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN0629 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0629 (Medium).JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN0630 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0630 (Medium).JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 113
Wow, that looks nice and clean. Congrats. :thumb: The 1" x 10 tpi adaptor may be a bit tricky to find, but you're surely not the first person to want to put a Nova chuck on an Atlas lathe. I'll do some hunting and see if I can come up with anything.

Nice Lath Jim, certainly worth the price :thumb:

It is a spindle lathe, as mentioned the lowest speed is a bit fast for roughing, but if you are turning bowls or platters from dry stock, that is already round, say cut on a bandsaw, it would be fine.

Green out of balance work......... would be....... exciting :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Great lathe just the same! :wave:

Jim: Good haul! What a sweetheart of a lathe!

John: I'm pleased when I get corrected like that - I'd been under the impression that the Atlas metal lathes were all in the 6x12 range. Good to see there were bigger ones, too. Do my eyes trick me, or are you actually running a V-belt on that pulley? Looks almost like it's been grooved for one, but it's hard to tell from this side of the border. :)

Atlas made some fairly large metal lathes, and I seem to recall that they made 12" swing lathes. I have a 10"x54", pre-WW2 Atlas metal lathe with a babbit headstock that still works quite accurately, even if it has been well used for 70 years....and believe me, it gets well used...:thumb:

This is mine - grease, oil, chips and all.........

attachment.php

cheers

John

Some serious Lathe Envy on my part John! :D