Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is this guy thinking

What is this guy thinking

This is an add on CL today.
    I am currently renovating a duplex in Somersworth, NH and need to get a kitchen installed. I have already gotten a design done at one of the big stores, but would I would rather have someone local do the job.

If you think that you can build a custom kitchen for around the same price that I could buy it from the big box stores, please let me know. I dont need anything facny, just apartment grade cabinets.

I can email the design upon request.

Only insured carpenters need apply, references also required.

Or maybe this guy
    Looking to fill 3 positions with experienced helpers. Must pass backgroung check, have own tools (hand) Must have a car. Will work in NH, MA, ME. Will need liability insurance as you will be a sub. Do NOT reply if you have under 5 years in field. He's looking to pay a whole 12 bucks an hour.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 02-14-2010 at 10:19 PM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Sounds like the guy who wanted me to build a outdoor glider, so I showed him a picture of a design I had done. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glider.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	42362 He wanted to pay me $500 to build it.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

If you really wanna mess with the CL guy's head, call and ask if he'll take a money order.

(Yes, I know he's buying, not selling. Logic has nothing to do with messing with someone's head.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

in our parts chuck, twelve dollars an hour is a good starting wage....mcdonalds folks get 7.25..and the box stores last year were Payun 10.00 for a manager position..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    in our parts chuck, twelve dollars an hour is a good starting wage....mcdonalds folks get 7.25..and the box stores last year were Payun 10.00 for a manager position..
    In 1985 I was getting paid 12 an hour on the books. Which means my boss was with holding the fed and paying worker comp plus He paid some cheap health ins.
    This guy wants to pay as a subcontractor and have you driving all over 3 states to get the pay.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

You got some doozies over there, Chuck. Sometimes it's just amazing they manage to survive, with that poor a grip on reality. 'Course, we got similar doozies over here... wait! They're EVERYWHERE! They're getting nearly as bad as the zombies!
    -- Tim --

I'm guessing he watches the news and figures there are a bunch of guys out there who will work for just about nothing
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

$12 an hour (net, not gross) would pay about the same as state unemployment payments here. If I wasn't getting unemployment pay right now, that $12 would be better than nothing.

Now add liability insurance and three states of travel? No stinkin' way.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Heck,

I pay my plumbers and HVAC helpers $11.00 - $12.00 to start with no experience, and we are in the deep south!!

That is insane for a sub anywhere in hte country to work for wages like that.

A thought just occurred to me, it could be a typo.

I'm dyslexic, well it only really manifests now when I'm really over tired, but I went through some tough years as a kid, not being able to spell like everyone else. If the number was $21 an hour, would it be that unreasonable? Sure, not a great job, but......

Just saying
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward